Thread: Countdown to the Baja 1000!

Countdown to the Baja 1000!

Well, I only have to install both diffs, front brakes and extended brakelines tomorrow. Plus, buy and mount a new tire, oil & trans fluid change. AND set up and pack the rig. All while helping a customer work on his Mom's 95 RRC. But boy am I going to be ready for this coming Wednesday.

Wednesday:
    Hooking up with the Nor Cal Posse including Eric's contingency and Chuck AKA DesertCrawler at the shop in Fullerton. We might try to visit the Tecate brewery or at least stop at the beer gardens. Then off to the rancho at La Rumorosa.

Thursday:
    Head to the Canyon de Gaudalupe Hot Springs. Hike up the mountain to the cold water holes and waterfalls. Time to take it easy and catch up on some needed rest and relaxation.

Friday:
    Head to our spectator location. We will be there most of the day. We will likely be between RM130 and RM175. Here's a great link to a Google map topo....LINK
    If you zoom in the Google map. Southwest of RM175, you will see our camp spot at the eastern base of the mountains. It is marked Canyon De Gaudalupe. Thinking of watching near RM175 where we can get an elevated view of the racers flying down the dry lake bed on one side and watch them navigating the wash as they make that turn? Hell, we can even double watch if we short cut through the lake bed to RM200 after they come out of the mountains! And super close to camp. With that early in the race we should see all the vehicles by the afternoon.
    After the race rinse off the days dust at our personal natural hot tub at the camp palapa.

Saturday:
    After breakfast stop at the ranch and meet up with Eric's group and head to Laguna Hanson for some wheeling! Slick rock outcroppings at a lake bed. If dry we can do some boulder hopping. If wet be prepared to do some mud recovery.

Sunday:
    Head back over the border at Tecate.
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

John, Iam Envious.... Let me know if you need anything, t I can drive down after work and make it a late night wrenching event if you need a hand....

Hey John, I hope you have a good time. Is Paul going down also, if so and you see him tell him I said Hi>
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    Hey John, I hope you have a good time. Is Paul going down also, if so and you see him tell him I said Hi>
    Mike
    Mike, thanks. Paul is skipping this year. I'll never forget when you and I got lost in Baja!
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

If you zoom in at RM120 - RM130 this is a treacherous grade between Eric's aunt's ranch and the dry lake bed (see it in the distance on the video @ 3:07). Can you imagine an 800 hp trophy truck trying to pass you on this section......[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lASkkPW0Egg"]LINK TO VIDEO[/ame]
    Last edited by roverdude; 11-18-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverTech18 View Post
    John, Iam Envious.... Let me know if you need anything, t I can drive down after work and make it a late night wrenching event if you need a hand....
    Maybe next year. Thanks for the offer but I hope to be done by 5:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by roverdude View Post
    Mike, thanks. Paul is skipping this year. I'll never forget when you and I got lost in Baja!
    Did you have to mention that on line???

How about our trip 5 years ago next month???
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0010.jpg   DSCF0011.jpg  

Well, we are 302X riding a CR450X Honda.

I will tune to channel 7 as we hit Rumerosa on the CB - but we will be coming through early, as I think they are start position 20 in the group.....and damn thats early for me! Two of the riders are racers (500 experience etc) - not just joy riders, whereas one of the guys has been roped in with them. Just finished loading and we are off at 8am for Encinada.

I am not sure how to get to the bottom of the drop unless we take the track - and thats not happening!!

The trucks won't be around yet - maybe just starting when these guys come through there, so it should be pretty easy for them - relatively speaking. Its the ATV's that will be caught by the trophys.....which doubly sucks for them.

Well here we go!! I will do a write up when I get back - should have some good shots as well.

John and Co....hopefully see you in Rumerosa...unless they are really shifting - at which point I will wave.

Ed
    http://www.facebook.com/edthefanman
    Lets not aaargue about whoooo killed whooo!