Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque Wrenches - Any favorites?

Torque Wrenches - Any favorites?

In the market for a new torque wrench - one to cover the whole Rover. Any favorites out there? 150 ft lbs or 250 ft lbs? 3/8 or 1/2?

1/2" and "clicker" style not beam style. Then just pick your favorite tool brand, Mac, Matco, Snap-on, Facom ect.

There are a few bolts that require more than 250ft/lbs, but they don't have to be that accurate.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

I stick with the old stand by of Craftsman for my torqueing needs..
    "May God have mercy on my enemies because I won't" General George S. Patton

1983 Defender 110 Wagon

When I worked for a service shop I bought the whole Snap-on set, these are very expensive. You will find that the Craftsman tools are excellent for the home mechanic and are a lot cheaper. 1/4" drive for tranny work. 3/8" for intermediate middle range torx and 1/2" for the nitty gritty engine and chassis work. It would be nice, if the tool had Nm cross on it.
    Larry K, ASE
    Millstadt ,IL
    2011 LR4 HSE LUX
    Prev. owns: 87 RR Classic, 96 D1 4.0, 96 P38 4.6

Snap-on 1/2" and 3/8" in my tool box. Expensive but worth it!!!
    Tim Scully

95 D90 SW
    95 RR LWB
    81 CJ-8

Love my snap-on 1/2" drive 250ft/lb wrench with a dial gauge.you can progressively watch the torque reaction while on the way to your final torque.It's mostly what you get used to as long as it holds it's calibration.Smaller stuff use a 3/8 drive10 -60 ft/lbs.
    "At my signal...unleash hell."

Whatever brand or price range you finally decide on all torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of their range.

The Craftsman range of tools are more than suitable for automotive needs. Snap on are nice, but very expensive for what you get.

My 2c

I've bought a few snap-ons and mac etc. from craigslist. You'd be surprised at the deals you can get on gently used stuff.

If you are buying used torque wrenches or have owned one for a long time it may be prudent to get it re-calibrated. Pawn shops are another good source for quality tools without the high price.

I am shamed...... I have many tools from Harbor Freight....in particular the "grunt"
    tools....sockets, wrenches, etc. For the most part they have worked EXTREMELY well.
    Frankly, I would not have been able to afford to jump in on our rigs had I not started a bit economically. Good advice on here though. Of everything I have, it is the clicker torque wrench that I will look to upgrade first. I have the 1/2 one from Harbor Freight primarily for the wheel lugs.
    Mike
    2004 Discovery II-"The Grey Goose"
    3" OME and Toddco Spacer lift,32" Nittos,TW Shaft,Terrafirma stabilizer,Bottorf custom winch bumper and sliders,Rear camera,CB,30 GB Zune and Infinity sub

http://northwestoverlandsociety.org