Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: to sway or not to sway that is the new question

Long beach - Humboldt, Not quite the bottom and not to far from the top.
    Hi my name is D.J.Mike B and i chose to run no sway and thats how i'll stay!!!!!!
    Mike B
    97 D1- "Sally" Wife's rig
    95 D1- "the Beast" trail rig
    and in loving memory
    88 RRC-"Old-500"
    92 RRC Hunter- "Green Machine"
    99 D1- "Agent 99"

Sway bars (more accurately anti-sway or anti-roll bars) are for handling not for ride. They limit body lean when rounding curves. They help sportscars be able to take corners more quickly but for top-heavy beasts such as Range Rovers, I think it's reasonable to consider them safety devices, to lessen the chance of a roll-over or other complete loss of control in sudden, high-speed, emergency maneuvers. That said, yes, Range Rovers didn't have them at all on early models and were equipped with progressive-rate springs. Later Classics had sway bars and linear-rate springs. Perhaps what's what you're saying about their being about ride and I suppose that's a somewhat legitimate observation.

Granville aka Gran or Granny
    '06 LR3 SE7 V8
    North California Wine Country
    http://home.comcast.net/~teacupfarm/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    Sway bars (more accurately anti-sway or anti-roll bars) are for handling not for ride. They limit body lean when rounding curves. They help sportscars be able to take corners more quickly but for top-heavy beasts such as Range Rovers, I think it's reasonable to consider them safety devices, to lessen the chance of a roll-over or other complete loss of control in sudden, high-speed, emergency maneuvers. That said, yes, Range Rovers didn't have them at all on early models and were equipped with progressive-rate springs. Later Classics had sway bars and linear-rate springs. Perhaps what's what you're saying about their being about ride and I suppose that's a somewhat legitimate observation.
    well said Granny, I still have my sway bars.... just not on my disco's. I think when i get some extra funds .... ha ha ha... i'll get disconnects front and rear.
    Heres a twist to the post. I know Rover tyme has Watts links for the D-2, would a d1 benefit from a watts link vs. sway bar? just a thought.
    Mike B
    and in loving memory
    88 RRC-"Old-500"
    99 D1- "Agent 99"

my truck has no sway bars. I just drive the truck slower and more granny like. but when i make a turn it hecka leans LOL.

turns heads.
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    well said Granny, I still have my sway bars.... just not on my disco's. I think when i get some extra funds .... ha ha ha... i'll get disconnects front and rear.
    Heres a twist to the post. I know Rover tyme has Watts links for the D-2, would a d1 benefit from a watts link vs. sway bar? just a thought.
    Watts link does the same as the panhard rod, not a sway bar. D2s with watts link rears also have sway bars.

Steve
    NCLR #49
    stock

What to you do with the sway bars if you have disconnects? Just let them hang? Seems like that might lead to trouble when off roading. I just picked up some front/rear disconnects for my D1 from Hi Country and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Maybe fab up a retaining bracket for when they're disconnected?

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    What to you do with the sway bars if you have disconnects? Just let them hang? Seems like that might lead to trouble when off roading. I just picked up some front/rear disconnects for my D1 from Hi Country and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Maybe fab up a retaining bracket for when they're disconnected?
    Zip tie's....
    Mike B
    and in loving memory
    88 RRC-"Old-500"
    99 D1- "Agent 99"

My 99 D-1 only had a front sway and it handled good and still had good flex...... any one have thoughts about the have way sway????
    Mike B
    and in loving memory
    88 RRC-"Old-500"
    99 D1- "Agent 99"

I fabbed up mounts that they connected to. Up and out of the way.....

Steve
    NCLR #49
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    I guess the D2 setup is a bit different, I just take mine completely off and stick them in the door bin. My thoughts on sways are (for a D2) if your suspension setup is just right then you can get by on the hwy w/o sways. But if your shocks are too short you can actually have an inside tire come off the ground while cornering. It doesnt have to even be that aggressive of cornering. I was experiencing this with ~4"+ lift on OME shocks. It caused uneven tire wear and was a little sketchy. I got the quick disco's and was golden after that. The shocks still died quick, from topping out. But with my Bils' and sways connected its almost sports car like (right... but pretty good). It's even alright with out the sways connected on road now because the shocks are better damped and don't top out like the OMEs. If I'm driveing up the mountains or through canyons sways will keep me at least at the speed limit, with out them I have to adjust accordingly.

If you can afford the sways, get them. If not, drive safe.
    Kimo, Kathryn, Kaylyn, Kaleb and usually 1 or 2 other victims.

2001 Disco 2 SE7
    D1 CDL Linkage
    OME 766/763 lift 2" spacer and a D1 rear perch, EE Retained.
    10" Schroeder Valve 7100s in the front...12" SB 7100s 400/100 in the rear
    33 12.50 15 BFG KM2s
    EBC Rotors and Pads
    Bottorf lil' Guy Winch bumper with $3 High lift mounts.
    Bottorf Rear Bumper w/ swing away
    Roverland Sliders
    Tom Woods Front shaft (goes nice with the fresh cats and new tranny... ugh... Trans #3 now)