Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: to sway or not to sway that is the new question

How about on a D2? I was thinking about removing the rear swaybar and leaving the front to allow the rear to flex better.

Are the D2's alright without any sway bars???

You'll never notice the rears are gone. You'll definitely notice them missing in the front. How much lift do you have? I use the SlickRock quick disconnects up front and they've been great so far.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

Quote Originally Posted by Granny View Post
    Elaborate, please. I'm interested in this idea but can't picture how locking hubs are used on a sway bar. I've kept the sway bars on my '92 RRC, even with RTE springs, as it seems to have good flex even with them (and I have TT/Quaife diffs). Still, if disconnects were an easy add-on and not too pricey, I might like to add them.
    Misses this post before. Lots of Jeeps use the same kind of set-up as I'm planning on, you can't do it with a stock sway-bar, but a Currie Anti-rock is splined just like and axle, so you can use a locking hub to engage and disengage it, same as you would on the front axle of an old Toyota.

I will more than likely only be doing the rear, the front doesn't really need it, nor do I have room for one anyway.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

No lift yet. It is getting a 2" RTE with OME or Bilsteins and 265/75/16's.

I like the idea of the quick connects for the front, but yeah, the rear swaybars days are numbered.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Disco2Guy View Post
    You'll never notice the rears are gone. You'll definitely notice them missing in the front. How much lift do you have? I use the SlickRock quick disconnects up front and they've been great so far.

i have disconnects for both front and rear

JKS up front and using some terrafirma fronts for a jeep TJ on my rears, they have a slight offset to them but work fine for a few years now

i am fully disconnected off road and yet safe on the highways

driving on interstates without sways is out right irresponsible to others we share the road with

on a tall truck like a rover, it is a safety imperative to have sways, imho
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
    driving on interstates without sways is out right irresponsible to others we share the road with

on a tall truck like a rover, it is a safety imperative to have sways, imho
    Or just realize you're driving a big top heavy truck and adjust your driving style accordingly.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post
    Or just realize you're driving a big top heavy truck and adjust your driving style accordingly.
    yes that too..
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Disco2Orlando View Post
    How about on a D2? I was thinking about removing the rear swaybar and leaving the front to allow the rear to flex better.

Are the D2's alright without any sway bars???
    I removed mine from my D2 about 3 years ago and never looked back. I daily drive my pig about 45 miles a day.

Sway bars? what are those?
    I run SG progresive 5" lift, 32/11.50x15 mud terrans and custom pinion angle correcting radius arms.
    If you don't correct the angle of the front axle back to the factory ange when lifting over 2's you'll be hard pressed to keep it on the road at all.
    Mine drives straight, stable and doesn't get squirelly under any conditions. Well, maybe on purpose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails offroadpics (131).jpg  
    Last edited by dusty101; 04-20-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    Eric
    Don't judge me cause I don't use spell check!

95 D1
    SCLR-#901

Long beach - Humboldt, Not quite the bottom and not to far from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
    driving on interstates without sways is out right irresponsible to others we share the road with on a tall truck like a rover, it is a safety imperative to have sways, imho
    Sway bars are not a safety devices. they just add for a better ride. so to say its "irresponsible to others" to drive with out them is incorrect. there are cars on the road that don't even have sway bars as stock. may not be a rover but most pre 70-60 rigs don't have. although it is "imperative" to have sway bars some times.
    Mike B
    97 D1- "Sally" Wife's rig
    95 D1- "the Beast" trail rig
    and in loving memory
    88 RRC-"Old-500"
    92 RRC Hunter- "Green Machine"
    99 D1- "Agent 99"