Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: to sway or not to sway that is the new question

Long beach - Humboldt, Not quite the bottom and not to far from the top.

to sway or not to sway that is the new question

So i have no sway bar in the front. I got one in the back, but im looking to remove it. I have OME hard springs. will the hard springs help against body roll or should i just look to get disconects for the rear sway bar?
    my heart says f-- it and take it all off?

the rear doesn't really help a whole lot anyways. if you do it, remember its not a race car. it takes some getting used to. ive had no sway bars for over 5 years. im getting tired of it, so this winter i want to design some rock crawler front sway bars for my D1.

Not sure what you are driving, but I have a 1988RRC and I am adding a bolt on rear sway bar to my truck. Not so much for hard trails, and I will remove if for those most likely, but I am very tail happy when loaded to camp and am hoping the rear sway tames that down a bit.

Trust me, no sway front and rear is a handful, but manageable with a little practice....an hour long trip, you'll be an expert. DD, you'll be a LRGod....

But load her up and get out on the highway, remember she is not a racecar, more like Jlo, a lot of sway on the way.
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

For 97% of Rovers there is no need for a sway-bar, but a rear can actually help the front suspension flex better by not allowing the rear to do all the flexing. You have to be a little more carefull driving with a loaded truck or turning, but nothing too terrible.

My truck is getting some custom swaybars soon to help high-speed handling offroad, then just dsconect them for crawling. I'm likely going to run some locking hubs on them so I can disconect them by just turning a dial really quick.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

Long beach - Humboldt, Not quite the bottom and not to far from the top.

to sway or not

Many thanks guys. Any input is welcome.

RRC's and many others didn't have sway bars, and although a little tippy it just goes with the territory....Adapt and overcome...I can drive my '90 RRC (w/o) as fast as it will go and I often explore trails where a '92 RRC (with) is never wanting for flex or traction.

That said, if you are towing a trailer, maybe, just maybe a rear 'anti-sway' device may help...Otherwise it doesn't make much difference for trail exploration...It might make a difference in a rock crawler, but a RRC nor D1 is a rock crawler by nature...(but do just fine)...

I am always one for keeping as stock as possible until you actually NEED to make a modification or improvement to overcome some obstacle that somehow thwarted progress in some previous attempt....even then, driver error is partly to blame....
    "Imagination rules the world."

-Napolean Bonaparte

I forgot that rovers even had em....pitch em to the scrap pile and dont look back!

I've put many, many thousands of miles on several Range Rovers, and none of them had sway bars. If you have the original springs on it, they are probably somewhat useful. However, with OME or whatever aftermarket springs you have on it, it will be fine if you don't drive like an idiot. I've driven all across the country on interstates and back roads and trails, and I don't miss them a bit. My 1987 never came with them and my 1995 lost them soon after I got it. It leans like an SUV when you take a sharp curve, but you just see it as normal after you drive it for a while. Being as a friend commented that he thought it didn't have sway bars after driving it once, I suppose it does feel a bit different if you haven't driven one before.

Quote Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post
    My truck is getting some custom swaybars soon to help high-speed handling offroad, then just dsconect them for crawling. I'm likely going to run some locking hubs on them so I can disconect them by just turning a dial really quick.
    Elaborate, please. I'm interested in this idea but can't picture how locking hubs are used on a sway bar. I've kept the sway bars on my '92 RRC, even with RTE springs, as it seems to have good flex even with them (and I have TT/Quaife diffs). Still, if disconnects were an easy add-on and not too pricey, I might like to add them.

Granville aka Gran or Granny
    '06 LR3 SE7 V8
    North California Wine Country
    http://home.comcast.net/~teacupfarm/index.html

yea I do see where there great for high speed turns, I had hole drilled into the bolt and a pin in em for quick removal and had the sways lowered to meet the lift but they would still bind up of flat ground. thats why I pitched em and never looked back. but hte "locking hub" idea could be interesting