Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Guaging interest Baja 1000 trip November 19-23

Quote Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post
    They're running a CB for the race, not a race radio? Sorry, but that sounds like a downright stupid idea as they will be out of the loop on anything and everything going on in the race and unable to call for help if they're out of range of your CB and completely unable to reach SCORE ops or Weatherman in an emergency.
    WOW....Max getting all Jacked.

We have sat phones, race radio's....and because these guys probably don't have either...thought I would check their CB channel.
    http://www.facebook.com/edthefanman
    Lets not aaargue about whoooo killed whooo!

Quote Originally Posted by edthediscoman View Post
    WOW....Max getting all Jacked.

We have sat phones, race radio's....and because these guys probably don't have either...thought I would check their CB channel.
    Oh, and tracking devices on the bike and also we installed mental telepathy, ESP, ESPN, photosynthesis, reverse osmosis system and a uranium processing plant.

Sorry, but every time I've been down there for a race there's a guy wandering around in the midle of nowhere "hey man, can you use your race radio to ask Weatherman to call my team, I have this FRS/CB/soup cans and string but can't reach them and I am out of gas, flat tire, broken CV, broken trailing arm, broken arm ect" "CB race chanel" and your thread looking for CB parts led me to believe you were using the CB for race communication, which like I said is a very bad idea.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post
    Sorry, but every time I've been down there for a race there's a guy wandering around in the midle of nowhere "hey man, can you use your race radio to ask Weatherman to call my team, I have this FRS/CB/soup cans and string but can't reach them and I am out of gas, flat tire, broken CV, broken trailing arm, broken arm ect" "CB race chanel" and your thread looking for CB parts led me to believe you were using the CB for race communication, which like I said is a very bad idea.
    OK, you were right, I did write "CB race channel"....mmm.

Mild retardation has set in over here, I apparently mild hysteria on your end...
    ;-)
    We are all good!

Made it back alive -- no ransom required...

Big thanks to Eric for setting this trip up. Now that I've crossed the border for the first time, I think I am hooked and will have to try it again. Here is a brief trip report -- but as people say, many things that happen in Mexico need to stay in Mexico!

Day 1 - drove all the way to La Rumurosa -- with a stop at John Gadd's shop in Fullerton where we all rallied up. Eric, John, Peter and I brought the Rovers -- we also had a Jeep tagging along.... Rolled into the place to stay very late & hit the sack.

Day 2 -- Ran the dry lakebed, and went to where John and Peter were setting up camp in a cool little place called Canon Guadalupe.. hot springs, rock fireplaces, and cabana's... Definely a place to consider if anyone wants to camp. Had some interestign encounters with the Federales and the people they were pursuing that spiced up the advenure. Late night wheeling across the lake bed with my heavy duty lights made things exciting. John and Peter and the Jeep stayed to camp -- Erics group and I went back to the hacienda to eat and drink Margaritas.

Day 3 - RACE DAY -- hung out watching the racecars go by as we made more margaritas and food. Didn't see any Rovers in the race, but had a great spot to hang out. I'll let John comment on what happened with his group -- lets just say it involved a rescue with a flaming ATV down on the desert floor as well as some excitement involving a large gully and a fast moving jeep...

Day 4 - Last Day -- Went wheeling out in a lakebed with big rocks, posed for pics. Camera died -- so I need to rely on Erics pix on Flickr. Learned that my rear approach angle is not as good as my front approach angle, and got hung up backing down. Creative rockstacking saved the day..went back to the hacienda -- met up with John's group, compared stories, and had the final meal. Throughout trip I was happy to say I was quite well fed...

Day 5 - Drive home -- it was about 600 miles door to door. Left hacienda, got a bit delayed due to a broken rover (Pete's) which needed trailering back home (bad fuel pump) as well as the Mexican Insurance filing for the jeep. I made it in by about 10:30 -- Eric with the trailer and a few pitstops to drop things off I haven't yet heard from but am assuming he made it in safe sometime that night...

Overall -- great trip -- once Pix get Flickr'd I'll go through and pick out some of my favorites....

Methinks we may need to set up a NCLR trip across the Baja soon....
    Chuck (KI6WSR)

2004 White Disco II with 3" RTE Lift with Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 ProComp Tyres & wheels, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage. ARB Lockers Front & Rear, heavy duty rear axles, drive shafts, and CV joints from GBR. CB and Ham.