Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guaging interest Baja 1000 trip November 19-23

Guaging interest Baja 1000 trip November 19-23

I have access to a rental ranch house in La Rumarosa for a reasonable price, belongs to my wife's aunt. Turns out, the Baja 1000 is running an older route that looks like it runs within a couple miles of La Rumarosa. If there is sufficient interest in a group going, then here's the general plan:

Up front charge of around $300 per adult, $150 per child for all food, non alcoholic drinks, and lodging for 4-5 nights. These numbers can go up or down depending on how many people want to go, maybe break it down per day.

The area is incredible as far as scenery goes, chilly nights warm days. Roverdude (John) has taken me there a couple of times, it's an off road playground, rock formations, mud, and fantastic scenery. We'll of course post up to watch the racers come by! All vehicles welcome, but 4WD recommended for offroad excursions.

If there is some interest, you'll have to take a couple days off work, let me know so I can get some pictures of the ranch house and the area to post up here by this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails baja 004.jpg   baja 007.jpg   baja 027.jpg  
    Rovers
    50 Series 1
    83 110 V8 County Station Wagon

Bah, if I go this year I'm going to roll dirt-bag status, sleep on the beech, and eat street-cart tacos. Gotta save some bucks for projects.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post
    Bah, if I go this year I'm going to roll dirt-bag status, sleep on the beech, and eat street-cart tacos. Gotta save some bucks for projects.
    Well, you can always stop by the campfire and have a cold brew and a shot of Tequila!
    Rovers
    50 Series 1

Stuff I forgot to mention!

I forgot to mention (Ari my wife reminded me) that there are wineries in the area.

Also, I will be bringing my big diesel truck and long trailer with my Rover on it, so if there are any major breakdowns I can get you and your Rover home! This would be an ideal trip for someone who's interested in going to Mexico but didn't know where to start!
    Rovers
    50 Series 1

What are the dates? We've been waiting for a reason to drive back down to Baja. Wineries in the area clinches the deal for my wife. Just need to see if we can get away from work. Sounds fun!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by esteban View Post
    What are the dates? We've been waiting for a reason to drive back down to Baja. Wineries in the area clinches the deal for my wife. Just need to see if we can get away from work. Sounds fun!

Steve

Thread is titled "Guaging interest Baja 1000 trip November 19-23 "

My guess, November 19-23...Capt. Obvious to the rescue!
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Would it be like a group trek down there?
    Mexico scares me, I'm guessing that less than half the stories I here are true. But thats still something.
    I'm not as young as I once was and I would want to make it a family trip.
    Trails for a stock D1?
    Eric
    Don't judge me cause I don't use spell check!

95 D1
    SCLR-#901

Quote Originally Posted by 1dusty101 View Post
    Would it be like a group trek down there?
    Mexico scares me, I'm guessing that less than half the stories I here are true. But thats still something.
    I'm not as young as I once was and I would want to make it a family trip.
    Trails for a stock D1?
    Family friendly for sure, we're probably heading down to see her aunt and the place this weekend to see what sleeping arrangements are, the place has showers, 2 bathrooms, big kitchen, fire pit outside etc. You can follow me down caravan style, we use FRS to keep the group together. Baja is an amazing place, nothing to worry about, probably a 2% truth rate and definitely NOT where we're going. THe race is an amazing experience of it's own, the camaraderie of the fans and the racers is fantastic to be a part of it's a much more intimate form of motorsports spectating...my buddy Peter duct taped his maglight to some Japanese guy's head who's light went out on his 1969 Honda Scrambler to get him back in the race!
    Rovers
    50 Series 1

Oh yeah, PLENTY of trails for stock D1. I know my way around Laguna Hansen but not much else, plenty of time for exploration!
    Rovers
    50 Series 1

Quote Originally Posted by esteban View Post

Steve
    My wife threw out the wineries card for that reason! My wife was born in Mexico but raised and educated here in California, graduated from UCD. She speaks fluent Spanish and has volunteered for translating and cooking, Chorizo and eggs in the morning carne asada at night...yummy!
    Rovers
    50 Series 1