Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chile/Peru September 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dcproven View Post
    Great Ron,
    Welcome aboard, I hope to chat about this soon enough with you.
    Sponsors are fine, as long as we don't turn this into some silly long advertisement.

We'll be in touch.

David
    no problems with advertisers here if they help fund the expedition. good to see Ron interested. the 110 would be right at home on a journey like this.
    Mike LRRForums #25NCLR #31
    98 Disco- Gone but not forgotten
    07 JK Rubicon, el jeepo on 37's, 5.38's and EVO coilovers
    "Grab some pine, meat!"
    GO GIANTS

In memory
    A.Stevens#13739
    EOW 11-17-05
    T. Diaz #140
    EOW 6-15-08

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by 110user View Post
    I've been meaning to post up about our trip and this is a good opportunity to share.

I have been planning a similar trip for the past 2 years. We loaded our 110 in to a container for shipment to Valparaiso, Chile last week. We are planning on 10 months on the continent and we donít know exactly how we are getting back. We are planning on spending most of the time in the altiplano between Bolivia and Argentina at some newly discovered rock climbing areas, very remote, very big, very cool. And of course down to Patagonia during the good weather in January. We fly down to meet the truck at the beginning of October.

As far as your plans go, I would defiantly buy your vehicle down thereÖ or potentially even rent if it is just for a month. Shipping will cost you $3-4000 dollars each way which makes it a hefty price tag for a month long trip. There are plenty of land rovers down there to choose from. Honestly, if I where to do all this planning again I would seriously consider buying in Chile, and selling when done. There is of course some risk in that and you donít get Ďyourí Rover but the cost of shipping is huge.

If you like I could try to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal or rental during the time period you are talking about but we will be back in the US by September 09.

This is the link to our website:
    www.terraeo.com
    There is some stuff on there but check back again in a week or two and it will have much more info. Also, Expedition Portal and Horizons Unlimited have a ton of information that will be very useful for you.

Feel free to ask any questions and Iíll do my best to help out.

cheers
    WOW, thats awesome! I checked the website, and will be watching for updates. If you get time as well, throw something back to LRR when you get a chance as well.
    Good Luck and have an awesome time!
    Ed
    http://www.facebook.com/edthefanman
    Lets not aaargue about whoooo killed whooo!

Hey Mike,

Keep in touch with David or this thread as you might find the budget (developing as we speak) reasonable. David just got a quote to ship 2 vehicles and gears yesterday.

I have excess stuff and as part of my trip planning with David and team, and pending decision to go as this takes form, I am selling my excess stuff to help fund this trip including my extra pick-up truck (bulk Costco items go getter) and Prius w/OHV sticker (recently I started car pooling/riding for free to work downtown San Francisco, and don't drive these vehicles especially the Prius enough). I have 3 others in regular use: my wife drives a Honda Pilot, and mine are 2004 D2 and Camel Trophy D110 = fine with these three.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    willing to go......check

can get time off work.......check

money to fund the trip........um money.......money.......

sounds like a fun trip David. been wanting to do an expedition and this would be awesome. just don't see being able to save the bucks and get the rover ready for something like this. i might be willing to go as passenger/ camera guy though if you need one. something like this should be filmed you know.

btw, there's a lot of useful info on expedition trave at expedition portal. not sure if you're registered here or not.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
    Last edited by RonCT110; 09-11-2008 at 10:11 AM.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

Hey David, I picked up the Lonely Planet Guide to Peru. Nice car pooling reading materials for the next sev months. Starting to appreciate why you picked Peru

Let me know if you have one for Chile, planning to get that next!

See you later or hasta luego!

Just practicing!

Quote Originally Posted by dcproven View Post
    Great Ron,
    Welcome aboard, I hope to chat about this soon enough with you.
    Sponsors are fine, as long as we don't turn this into some silly long advertisement.

We'll be in touch.

David
    Last edited by RonCT110; 09-11-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

Sounds like an awesome trip. I have being trying to plan a trip with the wife down to South America for a while. Have friends in Bolivia that I want to go see. Also have coworkers in Peru that have been giving me a lot of info. Taking a month off isn't a problem. Could even set up a smaller trip in spring here in the states to "meet". I have traveled all over the world so my foreign affairs knowledge is pretty good.

David or Ron, PM me about this and we can talk more in depth. Thanks
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

Hey Richard,
    I'll PM you in a sec.
    Cool you are getting info about Peru Ron, I am watching TV Chile and TV Peru now more often (well, the news and some documentaries about the amazing places they have, the rest are soap operas).

Later.

David
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

thanks for the advice Ron (might have to sell the JK/ although I'd rather not). a trip like this would be once in a lifetime dream for me. i watch the came trophy vids thinking how the adventure/ exploration would be in my own rig (or even just being a part of). are you finally selling the MJ? let me know b/c i'm trying to talk my dad in getting a rover and he still wants to keep a truck of sorts (he'd have to sell his ranger). he really was bummed about missing out on your XJ.
    Mike LRRForums #25NCLR #31
    98 Disco- Gone but not forgotten
    07 JK Rubicon, el jeepo on 37's, 5.38's and EVO coilovers
    "Grab some pine, meat!"
    GO GIANTS

In memory
    A.Stevens#13739
    EOW 11-17-05
    T. Diaz #140
    EOW 6-15-08

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Keep the JK - with factory front/rear lockers and disconnect, it's a capable rig plus tons of aftermarket upgrades/lifts avail.

Yes, I am finally selling the MJ (see pic) and Prius. Funds will go towards my trip! When you find a reason to sell, it helps with the letting go IMO!

The XJ was sweet as I do miss it as a rockcrawler and very capable rig! But I am glad (sold the XJ to help fund my 2004 D2) to have my 2004 D2 for more expedition type trips vs hard core trails/wheeling.

Catch up with you later. Would your dad be interested in the MJ! Let me know! C yah on the trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    thanks for the advice Ron (might have to sell the JK/ although I'd rather not). a trip like this would be once in a lifetime dream for me. i watch the came trophy vids thinking how the adventure/ exploration would be in my own rig (or even just being a part of). are you finally selling the MJ? let me know b/c i'm trying to talk my dad in getting a rover and he still wants to keep a truck of sorts (he'd have to sell his ranger). he really was bummed about missing out on your XJ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 88-MJ-w-Truck-Tent.jpg  

Tread Lightly Trainer

Sounds good Ron. Look forward to meeting you before the trip.

David, our trip leader, has been doing a lot of trail mapping/review on Google Earth. Pretty cool.

I am the usual anal guy working on expedition personal and vehicle check list (reason for me want to borrow or buy the Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide by Tom Sheppard).

I can offer my SPOT http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx to the group; we can turn on tracking and find a volunteer in the States to monitor our progress; SPOT has an export file feature directly to Google Earth.

I also have the Baja Claw 540c Global Map straigth line GPS.

More details to follow and lots of questions we all have I am sure.

Can't go wrong with two Rons!

Quote Originally Posted by Roveron View Post
    Sounds like an awesome trip. I have being trying to plan a trip with the wife down to South America for a while. Have friends in Bolivia that I want to go see. Also have coworkers in Peru that have been giving me a lot of info. Taking a month off isn't a problem. Could even set up a smaller trip in spring here in the states to "meet". I have traveled all over the world so my foreign affairs knowledge is pretty good.

David or Ron, PM me about this and we can talk more in depth. Thanks
    Last edited by RonCT110; 09-22-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Tread Lightly Trainer

Funds Build Up

Ok David and team,

I just sold my Jeep pick-up truck; money is starting to build up for the Peru trip - increasing the possibility day by day!

One of my personal objectives for this trip is "no new money" spent - I am looking deep into my excess stuff and selling them to fund this trip (except for the DII and CT110 of course - they are not excess vehicles - they are necessities )

Also it would be great (if ok with the team) to add a charity twist (along the way of course) to do a medical mission e.g. drop off med supplies: http://www.childrenofperu.org/MMFC.php; just a thought!

Tread Lightly Trainer