Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chile/Peru September 2009

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoChef View Post
    Sounds like an awesome trip!

You need a chef?! Catering to the farthest corners of the earth! This would be it!!

I wanted to plan a trip to the Yucatan Peninsula for next year but my father's health is making me think otherwise.

Good luck and let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I have good friends in Chile.

Enrique
    We'll talk about this
    Te tengo que convencer para que vengas!!!!

David.
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

I'd go if I had an armored Disco, Barrett 50, M16, Laws Rockets, Body Armor and kidnapping insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmover View Post
    I'd go if I had an armored Disco, Barrett 50, M16, Laws Rockets, Body Armor and kidnapping insurance.
    I am talking about going to Chile not to the Republican Convention
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Quote Originally Posted by dcproven View Post

Good One David.
    [/SIGPIC]Enrique, Susie, Sebastian 12 & Isabel 4yrs old.

Mexxi's Restaurant & Catering.
    Catering to the farthest corner of the planet, in a Land Rover, of course!

Land Rover stable:
    1962 IIA 109 Reg. in resurrection process.
    1992 RRC SOLD
    1998 Disco I with a peppy 4.6
    2006 LR3 HSE

I've been meaning to post up about our trip and this is a good opportunity to share.

I have been planning a similar trip for the past 2 years. We loaded our 110 in to a container for shipment to Valparaiso, Chile last week. We are planning on 10 months on the continent and we donít know exactly how we are getting back. We are planning on spending most of the time in the altiplano between Bolivia and Argentina at some newly discovered rock climbing areas, very remote, very big, very cool. And of course down to Patagonia during the good weather in January. We fly down to meet the truck at the beginning of October.

As far as your plans go, I would defiantly buy your vehicle down thereÖ or potentially even rent if it is just for a month. Shipping will cost you $3-4000 dollars each way which makes it a hefty price tag for a month long trip. There are plenty of land rovers down there to choose from. Honestly, if I where to do all this planning again I would seriously consider buying in Chile, and selling when done. There is of course some risk in that and you donít get Ďyourí Rover but the cost of shipping is huge.

If you like I could try to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal or rental during the time period you are talking about but we will be back in the US by September 09.

This is the link to our website:
    www.terraeo.com
    There is some stuff on there but check back again in a week or two and it will have much more info. Also, Expedition Portal and Horizons Unlimited have a ton of information that will be very useful for you.

Feel free to ask any questions and Iíll do my best to help out.

cheers

Yes the Democrat protesters have been getting out of hand.

110user,
    I saw your post in EP and I agree with you, as I mentioned, if I am going alone, I am buying there.
    I thought sharing a big container may be cheaper, more like $2K each, but you are right is a little too much.

I have friends in Santiago that can help me find the right deal down there but thanks for any advice or help.

Good luck, I'll check your site regularly.

David
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Wow 110user! And you will be back Sept 2009! Pretty close to David's plan to be there! Wouldn't it be interesting if you and David ended up crossing paths down there!

Quote Originally Posted by 110user View Post
    I've been meaning to post up about our trip and this is a good opportunity to share.

I have been planning a similar trip for the past 2 years. We loaded our 110 in to a container for shipment to Valparaiso, Chile last week. We are planning on 10 months on the continent and we donít know exactly how we are getting back. We are planning on spending most of the time in the altiplano between Bolivia and Argentina at some newly discovered rock climbing areas, very remote, very big, very cool. And of course down to Patagonia during the good weather in January. We fly down to meet the truck at the beginning of October.

As far as your plans go, I would defiantly buy your vehicle down thereÖ or potentially even rent if it is just for a month. Shipping will cost you $3-4000 dollars each way which makes it a hefty price tag for a month long trip. There are plenty of land rovers down there to choose from. Honestly, if I where to do all this planning again I would seriously consider buying in Chile, and selling when done. There is of course some risk in that and you donít get Ďyourí Rover but the cost of shipping is huge.

If you like I could try to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal or rental during the time period you are talking about but we will be back in the US by September 09.

This is the link to our website:
    www.terraeo.com
    There is some stuff on there but check back again in a week or two and it will have much more info. Also, Expedition Portal and Horizons Unlimited have a ton of information that will be very useful for you.

Feel free to ask any questions and Iíll do my best to help out.

cheers
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

Hey David,

I shared your idea re: trip to Chile/Peru with my wife Roselyn over dinner. She was impressed that you're doing it and equally impressed that your wife Paloma is cool about it!

I told her I am interested! She said ok as long as she can take equal time off from work. We shook hands and said deal!

Sounds like October is better weather wise. Actually October is better for me anyways (work wise and kids schedule wise). By mid year, I can tell how my sales pipeline will be like in Septemper. And by September or 3rd quarter as long as I meet or exceed my sales goals @ work, I am in good position to take extended time off in October and the kids would be in the swing of the school schedule.

Keep in mind that we could try to get coorporate sponsors to offset some of the cost or add some cool gears otherwise costly. This is your trip so it's your call.

For example, the SPOT is a new NCLR sponsor: http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx and perhaps we can tap into asking for personal sponsorship.

Also since you and I are a NCLR member, if you need equipment, clothing, tent and gears, Mountain Hardwear is another new NCLR sponsor pending approval. http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Home.aspx?cc=en-US

We can get products for personal use at whole price!

Anyways, let's keep the dialog going and time will tell soon if I can go!

I will sleep well tonight thinking about the possibilities!

Cheers!

Ron,
    September is the beginning of spring there, October should be even better, but August, it's the end of winter.
    In fact, weather-wise it would be better to go in October or later, lots of rain in some areas though.

Paloma kind of agrees to deal with the girls for a month, she knows this crazy adventure is important to me.

If you assure me you'll come if we do this in August, I am willing to change it.

Anyway, nothing is written in stone yet, so let's see what happens at the end...

David.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

Great Ron,
    Welcome aboard, I hope to chat about this soon enough with you.
    Sponsors are fine, as long as we don't turn this into some silly long advertisement.

We'll be in touch.

David
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>