Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chile/Peru September 2009

Chile/Peru September 2009

As some of you know, I am planning an expedition to Chile and Peru, by September 2009. Yes, a year down the road.

The idea is to expend 4 weeks or so down there.
    Extreme offroading is not the point, it is more exploration and discover of new lands and new people.

We will try Atacama, Nazca and other challenging areas, so a 4x4 is needed.

It will be very different if I go alone (I would most likely buy a used 4x4 down there and use it for the month) that if I go with someone, because sharing a big container may make it worth it to ship it down.

So, if there is interest in this trip, let me know, of course, I would like to meet and share a trip before this one with anyone coming down. If I have to expend a month with somebody, I want to know I can trust/get along with him/her.

So if you think you can get a month off work and are willing to try this, let me know PM, post here, whatever.

So far I have one friend of mine that is willing to come with me as passenger and another one (who is local, lives in Santiago) who wants to share some parts of the journey.

I have a year to round this up, 2 Land Rovers would be ideal, but 3 or 4 may work.

As this will happen out of California, I don't plan to involve any of the clubs, that is the reason I posted here instead of NCLR or SCLR, but I am open to talk.

I do want Land Rovers, so we can share tools/parts/help in case of need.

I am no expert in expeditions, so any help, will be appreciated.

Thanks

David.
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

willing to go......check

can get time off work.......check

money to fund the trip........um money.......money.......

sounds like a fun trip David. been wanting to do an expedition and this would be awesome. just don't see being able to save the bucks and get the rover ready for something like this. i might be willing to go as passenger/ camera guy though if you need one. something like this should be filmed you know.

btw, there's a lot of useful info on expedition trave at expedition portal. not sure if you're registered here or not.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
    Last edited by Monty; 09-03-2008 at 03:38 PM.
    Mike LRRForums #25NCLR #31
    98 Disco- Gone but not forgotten
    07 JK Rubicon, el jeepo on 37's, 5.38's and EVO coilovers
    "Grab some pine, meat!"
    GO GIANTS

In memory
    A.Stevens#13739
    EOW 11-17-05
    T. Diaz #140
    EOW 6-15-08

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

x2 on the money. id love to go
    1992 RRC
    1994 Toyota Pickup

We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

Hey Monty,

Yes I registered there and I've been compiling info from there. Good source of info.

This doesn't have to be a huge investment in expedition equipment, I won't invest a lot at least, just the basics.

I am working on a budget for the trip, I'll share with you when is ready if you have interest...

It's a round trip of 3-4K miles, say 5-6K miles with extra excursions and stuff.

Rough Map

If you think you may be interested, let's run some numbers, we could even share some expenses, there is plenty of time to plan and start gathering required gear.

David.
    Last edited by dcproven; 09-03-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Wow, this sounds like a pretty cool run.

Not this year....but??
    http://www.facebook.com/edthefanman
    Lets not aaargue about whoooo killed whooo!

Very interesting David!

Just realize September month off will a tough one for me considering that's the start of the school season for my two boys!

Love to join for the entire month, but perhaps I can fly-in and drive for just a week considering September will be a busy month for me!

In fact, the CT110 (the kids in school calls it "The School Bus") reported for duty this week - taking Max, my 6 year old, to 1st grade, and Jake, my 3 year old, to Tiny Tot Drop! Roselyn picks them up!

Doing this for the month of Sept till their nanny comes back from vacation and resumes duty! And I don't mind the duty - get to meet their teachers, transition them from playing the WII/outdoor stuff/sleeping late all summer to now doing homework, etc...

Going to guess this September ritual will be repeated till Max and Jake can drive on their Land Rovers!

Anyways, let us know your detailed plans and it would be great to see this trip on film; will be a trip to be remembered!
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

I am not sure 4 weeks will be enough time to drive to Chile and back. nevermind driving around down there or side trips on the way down.

Quint Kuhl and Paul Reyes are putting together a trip for late '09 into '10 that takes quint 4 months or so to get down to Belize then if not mistaken Paul plans to continue on to Tierra Del Fuego and back in 8-9 months.

I would love to do this kind of trip and if I can a 2 years salary to do it from some investors or someone, I am there. 1 year to plan and build and 1 year for the trip. then i would go back to work. maybe.
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

Ron,
    September is the beginning of spring there, October should be even better, but August, it's the end of winter.
    In fact, weather-wise it would be better to go in October or later, lots of rain in some areas though.

Paloma kind of agrees to deal with the girls for a month, she knows this crazy adventure is important to me.

If you assure me you'll come if we do this in August, I am willing to change it.

Anyway, nothing is written in stone yet, so let's see what happens at the end...

David.
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Quote Originally Posted by badfysh View Post
    I am not sure 4 weeks will be enough time to drive to Chile and back. nevermind driving around down there or side trips on the way down.

Quint Kuhl and Paul Reyes are putting together a trip for late '09 into '10 that takes quint 4 months or so to get down to Belize then if not mistaken Paul plans to continue on to Tierra Del Fuego and back in 8-9 months.

I would love to do this kind of trip and if I can a 2 years salary to do it from some investors or someone, I am there. 1 year to plan and build and 1 year for the trip. then i would go back to work. maybe.
    Ship from California to Valparaiso, Chile, drive around to Peru and back, ship from Valparaiso to California, not driving down from here, not enough time for that as you said.
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Sounds like an awesome trip!

You need a chef?! Catering to the farthest corners of the earth! This would be it!!

I wanted to plan a trip to the Yucatan Peninsula for next year but my father's health is making me think otherwise.

Good luck and let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I have good friends in Chile.

Enrique
    [/SIGPIC]Enrique, Susie, Sebastian 12 & Isabel 4yrs old.

Mexxi's Restaurant & Catering.
    Catering to the farthest corner of the planet, in a Land Rover, of course!

Land Rover stable:
    1962 IIA 109 Reg. in resurrection process.
    1992 RRC SOLD
    1998 Disco I with a peppy 4.6
    2006 LR3 HSE