Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, 19Lbs heavier

I know I should have done a timed run, but I didn't actually plan on doing the swap yesterday, so it got away from me.

That being said, I did take it for a short drive and it sure seems to be stronger. Seems to pull more consistant. But again, not data to verify. I will though do a timed 0-60 and see what number I get. Of course right now I am 2WD, so a little cheating.

It does though unquestionably idle smoother.

Scott
    All sold a while ago

1995 RRC LWB - LT230, $G Front Bumper

1960 109" 5 Door Station Wagon w/Deluxe Rolled Bonnet with Spare Recess. Frame off restoration. PO setup 289 Mustang with D60 rear end with chromolly inners. Recently moved to Sacramento awaiting a place to finish the restoration.

I put the 19# 4-holers in a few weeks back (the bosch set from the van were scurvy, so I bit the bullet and got a full set of new ones, simple swap except that I forgot the the disco has TWO schrader valves and I got a faceful of gas from the still-partially charged fuel rail...

Picked up the mileage and a real nice seat-of-the-pants kick, but had a slight 'dead' spot around 2600 RPM.

I figured it was airflow, so I cleaned up the throttle body; there was a lot of casting flash and crud, and it cleaned up really well; Mr. flowbench says I bought about 100 cfm across the board, and she pulls like a raped ape all the way up to the redline now.

As long as I keep my foot out of it, I'm pulling down close to 15% better gas mileage, actually breaking 20 at highway speed; not quite as much better in town, but if I'm not careful I can break the tires from a dead stop, which is NOT good for the drivetrain, I'm sure.

Thanks for the idea...someday my wife may get her Disco back, but I'm having WAY too much fun right now...

I wish I had taken accurate MPG numbers before the swap. But it sure does seem to pull stronger, and the fuel gauge is deffinitely moving slower

And the idle is very smooth now. With the injectors, plugs, and Magnecore it sure is a good combo.

Thanks for the update,

Scott
    All sold a while ago

1995 RRC LWB - LT230, $G Front Bumper

1960 109" 5 Door Station Wagon w/Deluxe Rolled Bonnet with Spare Recess. Frame off restoration. PO setup 289 Mustang with D60 rear end with chromolly inners. Recently moved to Sacramento awaiting a place to finish the restoration.

Same #19 for 3.5,3.9, and 4.2 engines?
    Rovers
    50 Series 1
    83 110 V8 County Station Wagon

Will this work on D1 motors? the 4.0? I just might have to do this too!
    "Eric Zitzmann is a bad MoFo, this dead dude shouldn't have messed with him." or "buy your next VW bus from NorCal Relics..."

Joshua Fischer
    97 DI SD 5spd.

Just did this on my 3.9 today. I've been meaning to do it for a while, just haven't had the bucks to buy a set...and then the other day I suddenly remembered that I already had a set from a '93 T-bird 5.0 HO that I bought a couple of years ago. This morning I pulled the manifold out of the shed, pulled the injectors and cleaned them up, inspected the O-rings and decided to go with them and then did the swap.

I heard the 5.0 run before I pulled it and figured the injectors were in decent enough shape, but there are kits consisting of o-rings, filters and pintle caps available to sort of rebuild them if needed.

As Scott said, it took a bit less than two hours to make the swap (and some of that was taking pictures...I took a bunch as I was thinking about writing a tech article about it).

I drove it and was impressed by how much smoother it runs, not only at idle but at speed as well. Seems to have a little more power, but one thing I've noticed with this engine is that at times it feels stronger than at other times. Hopefully now it'll be more consistant. I'll check the fuel mileage when I take it down to the Bay Area tomorrow afternoon.

I used the 19lb. orange top injectors. I have a set of 14lb. grey tops, but don't think I'd use them for this. On the other hand, they might be plenty. The 14lb. injectors were used in 5.0 non-HO engines (among other things) while the 19lb. injectors were most commonly found in 5.0 HO and 5.8 engines, which of course means they're plentiful and easy to find. If 14lb.'ers are enough for a non-HO 5.0, then they should be plenty for a stock 3.9 and might cause it to get a little better mileage...
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Keep us up to date on the results Dan after you get some miles on them. A tech article would be nice, I could post it to the NCLR site if you like.
    Gary

NCLR002
    LRRF0016
    NCLR VP Web Admin
    1995 RRC County LWB
    1994 Defender 90 SW

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

What engine is this on lrsafari.
    88 RRC
    2002 RR 4.6 HSE

_o_o_o_o_
    |0_______0|
    [(O====O)]
    |//|........|//|
    |\\|-0--- |\\|
    |//|`````|//|

I guess I should point out that the injectors I installed yesterday are not the Gen 3 injectors that Scott talks about above, but rather the standard OE Ford/Denso injectors. I would imagine that most of my gains (both percieved and expected) will come more from the fact that these are cleaner and in better shape than my original injectors since they don't boast the improved spray pattern of the Gen 3 units. But WTF, at least they didn't set me back any bucks right now!
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just finished up my top end rebuild and installed a new set of flow matched Gen 3 Ford Motorsport 19lb injectors and it runs 200% smoother. Idles like a dream at 600 rpm, runs so much smoother, and averaged 15.1 mpg on my last tank, which is 90% city driving. I hoping it'll get 16-19 on the highway. I can't stress how much better the vehicle runs all around now. low end, mid range, everywhere. def a worth while investment. I got mine on ebay for $110 shiped.
    '09 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited- 6-speed, fully loaded, Teraflex 3" LCG longarm suspension, 37" MT/R Kevlars, 17" Allied Raceline Monster beadlocks, LoD Gen 2 bumpers, Solid D44 diff covers, 5.13 gears, RCV front axle shafts, Ten Factory rear shafts, HIDx 4" offroad lights, Superwinch EPi9, Offroad Evolution rocker, corner armor, axle gussets, and control arm mounts.

SOLD '89 Range Rover OME lifted