Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, 19Lbs heavier

Well, 19Lbs heavier

Not me, but the RRC.

I bought a set of Ford 19Lb injectors off of EBay, $20.50 shipped. Found a local place, Dr. Injector that had the proper o-rings and filters, as well as pentil caps. Total for the rebuild parts, including injector cleaner and carb cleaner, $30. So for about $50 and an hour or so cleaning (after removing old filters and o-rings and a 24 soak) I spent and hour or so reassembling the new components last night.

Following PTSchrams guidelines over on DW, disassembled the intake and pulled the injector rail off (some fun and a persuasive bit of hammering on the intake to get it to unseat) off everything came.

Got them all back in a seated, reassembled everything and fired 'er up.

Idle @ 2700K, but smooth. Can't find where in the world I missed a vacuum hose (my assumption why the idle was so high). FINALLY realize the throttle cable seat/adjuster is pulled out and she settled into the smoothest idle a LR has ever had.

So thats how my day went.

(Sorry, I really wanted to do a photo/writeup, as I haven't seen one for RRC, but since someone stole our camera a couple of weeks ago, no dice)
    All sold a while ago

1995 RRC LWB - LT230, $G Front Bumper

1960 109" 5 Door Station Wagon w/Deluxe Rolled Bonnet with Spare Recess. Frame off restoration. PO setup 289 Mustang with D60 rear end with chromolly inners. Recently moved to Sacramento awaiting a place to finish the restoration.

Sounds like a fun day! Hard to beat a day spent working on a Rover. We need to know why the Fords over stock?
    Gary

NCLR002
    LRRF0016
    NCLR VP Web Admin
    1995 RRC County LWB
    1994 Defender 90 SW

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

My decision was based on reading here and over on DWeb, so others may provide more detail, bit in short:

You can get either the Ford or Bosch (OEM either way) as long as you get the "Gen III". They have a much finer, atomized spray pattern, using 4 nozzles or jets in the outlet. This in theory produces a better combustion pattern/efficiency.

If you compare the stock with the replacements, the stock spray looks like an inverted golf tee, and from what I have read produces a large and rough spray pattern. Essentially newer tech, but plug and play.

The best upgrade, and for about $220 is to go to Summit and get the matched Ford 19Lb set. They are brand new. But that is over 4X what I payed.

I smelled fuel at occassionaly, and am looking for dependability/tuning options right now while I have some time to take care of them before I can use/rely on the truck daily, so to speak. Plus these are the smaller tasks until I tackle the TCase swap and RTE install over the next couple of weeks. I know once the RTE and TCase are in, I will want to go on some shakedown cruises, and little things like leaking fuel will be long forgotten
    All sold a while ago

1960 109" 5 Door Station Wagon w/Deluxe Rolled Bonnet with Spare Recess. Frame off restoration. PO setup 289 Mustang with D60 rear end with chromolly inners. Recently moved to Sacramento awaiting a place to finish the restoration.

Oh, by the way, these injectors fit a myriad of vehicles, and are a popular upgrade to several of the BMW cars as well.

YMMV,

Scott
    All sold a while ago

You have to pull the intake to change them???
    Gary

NCLR002
    LRRF0016
    NCLR VP Web Admin
    1995 RRC County LWB
    1994 Defender 90 SW

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Not the complete intake all the way down to the valley pan. Just the upper "shoe box". It is held on by 6 allen head bolts accessed from the top, and then when you get the top of the box off, you will see the 8 horns as well as 6 13mm bolts holding the lower portion of the box and horns onto the main body of the intake. This portion took some tapping to get loose.

All-in-all took me maybe 2 hours to do. But I could do it again in less than 1 hour now that I know what goes and comes from where. While I was in the engine bay I also swapped in some new Bosch plugs (no, not Plus 4's).

While I had it apart I cleaned the insides of the intake thoroughly. Not sure if it matters, but I hate to put things back together dirty when a few minutes and some canned cleaner can make it shinier I didn't see a "compulsive/obsessive emoticon)

So I had a better day than Steve at least.
    All sold a while ago

I wonder if the old 22# nozzles from my mitsu motor would work? I swapped them out for 27# injectors on the Caravan.

They are standard sized Bosch units...

There is a guy around here running a 5.7 liter mopar Magnum engine in his Disco; he is running 33# with a 70mm intake...using a Dakota computer...ever see a 4-wheel drive burnout?

Now, what I am about to say is based on reading and research, not real world experience:

So, some people have tried the Ford/Bosch 24Lb and have problems with them. They do seem to overfuel the engine. There is some possible workaround with using a fuel pressure regulator, but that seems like extra headaches to me.

Plus you would only have 4 or 6 of them anyway, correct?

And another thing to check.... are they the newer tech with 4 nozzles? Or are they same/similar to what you already have? Look at them and get the model number and Google will be your friend. But in short, look at the end of the injector and if you see a pin or inverted golf tee, that is same/similar to the existing ones in your truck now. If you see a flat round plate with 4 miniscule dots, that would (AFAIK) be the Gen 3 injector.

Again, YMMV, and if in fact you blow up the the engine, I can be to blame. (But please tape it for us to watch )
    All sold a while ago

Im running 29lb ford xr6 turbo injectors in my 4.6 (bosch 0 280 156 124) They are four hole "twin spray". They are by far the best idling/most consistant injectors i have used. I am running a Wolf ecu so i can adjust the fuelling and i can get a super stable/smooth at 14.7 to 1 afr. With the Lucas hosepipes that used to be fitted the idle would wander and go from rich to richer to drowning. Under cruise/load the desired AFR's are very very stable
    Luke

Any noticeable change in acceleration?
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.