Thread: P38 Seats

P38 Seats

OK, so I am starting to recover from surgeries 1&2 of 3. #3 isn't till September, so feeling like I can start slowly rebuilding/modifying the '95

So, I have a near perfect set of '00/'01 DII seats in the same color and even same piping as my '95. But I do prefer the seats in the RRC for comfort. That being said, the P38 seats look similar to the RRC in bolster and overal design. Has anyone ever taken a look at them being retrofitted int a classic?

Or does anyone who owns a P38 in the Sacramento region mind a nosey fellow Rover owner bring a tape measure ( and a 6 pack of thier favorite beverage, and no, a 6 pack of Bollinger doesn't count) and seeing if they would possibly be able to be installed? (No, I will not remove yours from your truck, unless they are the right color with the right piping and you step away long enough )

OK, back to my scheming.

Scott
    All sold a while ago

1995 RRC LWB - LT230, $G Front Bumper

1960 109" 5 Door Station Wagon w/Deluxe Rolled Bonnet with Spare Recess. Frame off restoration. PO setup 289 Mustang with D60 rear end with chromolly inners. Recently moved to Sacramento awaiting a place to finish the restoration.

Yes, that's the way to get people to let you come by...

What you should do is get with your fellow Rover owner in the Sac area and have a day run that ends at that bar in Folsom we are supposed to converge on....
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

I still can't install the TCase by myself, so right now I am the rarest of rare, a 2WD RR! So a day trip ould have o be to the zoo

Scott
    All sold a while ago

1960 109" 5 Door Station Wagon w/Deluxe Rolled Bonnet with Spare Recess. Frame off restoration. PO setup 289 Mustang with D60 rear end with chromolly inners. Recently moved to Sacramento awaiting a place to finish the restoration.

Your Rangie isn't THAT rare!! I had to pull the front driveshaft and am waiting to replace the BW so I too have a 2 wheel drive!!
    Cameron
    1995 RRC LWB
    LT230 Swap
    3" Lift
    255/85/16's

Since we seem to trade cars 1 or 2 pieces at a time, for all I know you might have my truck right now Cameron
    All sold a while ago

Scott-

Rail to rail across the width of the seat, the RRC is 3/4 of an inch wider than the seat track on the P38, so if you were looking for plug and play it's not going to happen. A lot of stuff can be accomplished, just depends on how much fabricating time you have on your hands

Once I found that measurement though I stopped looking at the rest, but if you need something else just let me know, we've got one of each so it's a simple matter of moving from one truck to the other.

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

Dave,

Thank you for the info. It sounds like it is doable with creating a bracket/cross brace of some sort. I seem to recall that the P38 seats are nmounted on runners though like the RRC, so that is easier than the Di/DII setup with attached brackets.

So, any chance yopu could neasure the actual seat width compared to the RRC? Would they actually fit between the door and console?

And here is an opinion question:

Are they as or even more comfortable than the RRC?

Thanks a bunch,

Scott
    All sold a while ago

P38 seat width is just shy of 22 inches ... that includes the plastic seat control mounting, which is on left side of seat. The Classic seat is just over 23 inches, including the enormous black box seat switch which is on the right side of the seat!

The P38 seats are far more comfortable in my opinion and if you've got a chance at some seats it is worth the fab to swap them out. I'm not sure what the wiring is going to look like though as the P38 seats has a lot more options to it than the RRC. Aside from standard seat movement, the P38 also has the electric lumbar as well as the powered headrest movement (up and down) so that might get tricky, unless you just snip those wires and forget about them forever!

Any more questions just let me know, and if you're looking for some super-specific measurements shoot me a pm with your phone number and I'll give you a ring and take instructions over the phone.

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

Outstanding info. On the DII seats, there is really just power coming into the seat, then the controls and interface are thru wiring harness that are independant of the rest of the truck, or at least that is what I can tell from the pair I have and looking at it when it was in the DII.

I will try to review a wiring diagram for a P38 to see if it is similar or not.

Thank you again, sounds like it will at least fit into the space and being even more comfy is a good thing.

Scott
    All sold a while ago

Great! Anymore questions let me know ... sometimes there are benefits to having more than one LR

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley