Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockers

Lockers

Hello guys,

another question from me, and a stupid one also so bear with me

due to October trip to Moab, I'm preparing the truck from now and one of the mods are the lockers.

I really don't know how they work actually, are lockers work the same way as ETC but in better way?

my understanding is the ETC will let the wheel on the ground to have more traction while stopping the wheel with no traction. are lockers will greatly improve the ETC?

any pros and cons about lockers performance onroad?

Thanks.
    Putra, call me Choki, Chucky or whatever

'02 DII

Quote Originally Posted by Choqiees
    another question from me, and a stupid one also so bear with me

Chuck....remember....there are no stupid questions....only stupid people.

I keed! I keed!
    1994 RRC LWB
    My projects: www.mmacrue.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

Putra,

Yes, you are correct. ETC electronically controls the traction.

Lockers just lock up the entire diff to give you equal traction at both wheels all the time.

F.Y.I.

ARB & I have been talking about putting on a clinic on ARB Lockers. This class would be with
    a rep from ARB to discuss lockers and diffs. We will be hands on with the lockers taking them apart
    and discussing the mechanics and workings of the lockers. Just a fun class to explain what they are
    and have a little knowledge about them. Class will be free of charge as it will be hosted by Frank &
    I. We would also host the food and drinks. I might even be able to convice ARB to put up some products
    that we can raffle off at the end of class.

Any interest? Let me know. I would like to have at least 10 solid ok's before I schedule it. This would be
    an evening class during the week in the early winter time oct or nov.
    Last edited by Tony DII; 07-19-2006 at 10:56 AM.
    Tony - Cerrone's European LRRForums Store

1999 Disco II - aka Black Cobra - Daily Driver
    2006 Range Rover HSE aka Wife's Rig

Here is some basic info on how differentials work:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

"Lockers" lock the differential between the wheels, so they both turn at the same rate.

Mike

Chuck,
    I agree with X, this is a good question.
    For all intent and purposes lets say in the case of our Rovers, we have 2 types of lockers to choose from, even though you probaly find more.
    The first would be a locker from ARB, this is a locker that when activated by a pump and air supply, will lock up both wheels on an axle, giving bothe wheels equal traction wether a wheell is on the ground or not. Usually most people will install 2 systems on there truck, one for the front axle and one for the rear giving you the ability to us one or both depending on the traction needed.
    Th plus side of the ABS lockers, when both locked, you have all 4 wheels cranking with the same amount of power, the down side, you must turn off the front locker sometimes when wheeling thru the rocks and trying to turn, and being electrical, some times they won't engage.
    The other style of locker would be a Detroit locker that when installed keep equal power to both rear wheels and disengages as need when turning. Its counter part, the True Track is used in the front or can also be used in the rear, when needed they will lock up automaticly with slightly less traction overall but you need not do anything but drive and the True Tracs will do what they do best when you need it leaving you with having to enjoy the trail.
    To me, the plus side for the Detroit is that you don't have to do anything thing but drive and enjoy, the down side is that you must also run H.D. axles when using a Detroit, on the down side, you can't turn of a Detroit if you felt you needed to like when driving on ice. As for the True Trac, on the plus side, good overall off road performance, can be used by themself in the rear only or front and rear and they don't require any H.D. axles. On the down side, a pair of True trac's won't give you quite all the traction of ARB's, but they are a lot less expensive, work well on the road and off.
    As for the ETC you mentioned, if you have a CDL, ETC will give you equal power to one wheel front and rear, which you have no control over, but for casual use, it is not bad. If you don't have a CDL, you are limited to power at times to only one wheel and that can make you work really hard on hard obsticals.
    By the way, for my own vehicle, a 99 D2 with CDL, I have a Detroit and a True Trac, been running it for 4 years and swear by the combination.
    Mike

I think you guys have said it all but just a little addition.
    The ETC on the D2's actually puts a lot of stress on the stock diffs and can even prematurely fail when used heavily off road so when using a locker (ARB,Detroit,or TT) your ETC doesn't have to work as hard. It amazes me what a D2 can get through with ETC but add lockers and WOW !

I run a Detroit and a TT in my D1 and agree with Mike on the combo. I love the Detroit but I'm thinking ARB in the front in the future.
    My other Rover is even slower

For Now

55' S1 86" RHD (Hybrid in progress...)
    99' D1 SD
    00' RR 4.6 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Moses
    The ETC on the D2's actually puts a lot of stress on the stock diffs and can even prematurely fail when used heavily off road so when using a locker (ARB,Detroit,or TT) your ETC doesn't have to work as hard. It amazes me what a D2 can get through with ETC but add lockers and WOW !

I run a Detroit and a TT in my D1 and agree with Mike on the combo. I love the Detroit but I'm thinking ARB in the front in the future.
    Good point.
    Also the ETC can over heat your brakes real quick if it is continually working, then here comes the Trio of warning lights.
    The other thought whic I for got to mention is that if you have lockers wth CDL, you do have the ability to shut down the ETC as well as the ABS for those times when they cause more problems then they are worth.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tony DII
    Any interest? Let me know. I would like to have at least 10 solid ok's before I schedule it. This would be
    an evening class during the week in the early winter time oct or nov.

any dates yet, Tony? I'd be willing to go if it's on weekend.

DiscoMike:

mine's '02 so no CDL

It seems that Detroit & TT combo would be the way to go...I don't mind going for HD axles, the stock axles will break eventually anyway.

the reason is I like the way to just switch on and go...with ARB and my habit, I'd often forget to disengage the lockers when I'm require to do so on the trail.

Mike, I don't really understand how the ARB must be disengaged when going on the rocks? why not keep it engaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Moses

Yes, so far, the ETC never fail on me...Robb himself was pretty amazed at Hollister when the DII went where the D90 went, and she was bone stock with 18"s

I've read somewhere on meanie web that if the DII equipped with lockers, it'll clash with the ETC...

I went to GBR website but I think the site is kinda outdated, no stuff for DII.

Thanks for all the infos, I feel more confidence about getting lockers when I understand how they work.
    Putra, call me Choki, Chucky or whatever

'02 DII

Tony - I'm in for that!
    1994 RRC LWB
    My projects: www.mmacrue.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @mmacrue

When ARB's are locked, each axle must turn at the same number of rotations. When turning, the outside wheel needs to turn more revolutions then the inside, and it can't. That is why I like the TT, a little less traction but no muss no fuss.
    Mike