Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rock sliders.

I don't know If they are still up. The last purchase I made from them was in July of 2010. I tried calling several of the numbers I had for them in the fall and none of them were in service.
    97 Discovery 5spd (The Commuter)
    00 Discovery (The Grocery Getter)

There is a possibility that they may have gone out of business, I know the owners have moved back to Colorado and heard things were getting a little tough.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

...Which is too bad. I always got great customer service from them. Along with prompt replies to questions, and fast shipments; no missing parts. I have their front and rear bumper on my DI and I'm very happy. I wish they will still in business.
    97 Discovery 5spd (The Commuter)
    00 Discovery (The Grocery Getter)

Whatabout sliders that mount to the frame? I've heard that the sill mounted ones will still allow damage
    '96 D1 300TDI 5spd Alpine White

--------------------------------
    DISCO SEAT FIX for a broken D1 front seat!!

"Jeeps may be famous, but Land Rovers are Legendary.

I think you're right but that's what he's building. Frame mounted sliders.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

no I'm pretty sure they just bolt to the door sill just like the plastic trim piece that comes stock.

Rookie mistake. I learned my error this morning while pulling the rear axle assembly out. There sure is a lot of low hanging parts that Land Rover didn't need to expose. I think the designers should be required to drive the Rubicon before drawing a single plan out.

At least these sliders mount around the sill rail - where the stock plastic junk hardly hangs onto the side of it. I think Land Rover was only concerned about water (and mud) splashing up because there's no way they prepared it to touch the ground!

Well, probably the added cost of sliders per vehicle would have either eliminated the meager per vehicle profit Land Rover made or would have caused Land Rover to increase the vehicle price. Also, only a small percentage of discoverys made ever make it far enough off road to need those sliders anyways so it wouldn't justify the OEM's additional cost. They could have done a option package that included some protection items, similar to the Rubicon package for the Wranglers, that would have been neat. Anyways, its fun to add the protection yourself

I have run those sliders for 8 plus years through a lot of Death Valley, some of the Hi Sierras, Moab and Colorado, they have taken their fare share of hits and boulders with no damage other then a lot of shaker can paint.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by seaslugx View Post
    Well, probably the added cost of sliders per vehicle would have either eliminated the meager per vehicle profit Land Rover made or would have caused Land Rover to increase the vehicle price. Also, only a small percentage of discoverys made ever make it far enough off road to need those sliders anyways so it wouldn't justify the OEM's additional cost. They could have done a option package that included some protection items, similar to the Rubicon package for the Wranglers, that would have been neat. Anyways, its fun to add the protection yourself
    This is the company that charges for switches to make the otherwise installed seat warmers work. I guess sliders are way out of the question.

But I am talking about all the low hanging parts that would have been better installed up tight inside the protection of the frame. Since they knew folks would take them off road, the need to assume there'd be impact and minimized the targets.