Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rock sliders.

rock sliders.

my dad and i are going out to buy metal for the rocksliders we'll be starting tomorrow for my dII. i know there's a lot of debate between using 3/16th or 1/4 inch wall thickness metal. i'm by no means a rockcrawler, but want to be prepared for whatever i encounter in the future.

my design is going to look very much like this, but without the nerfs (for now, may add them later).

http://www.lrrforums.com/attachment....7&d=1184155459

anyways, what do you guys say? 3/16 or 1/4, or mix n' match? for example, 1/4 for the sill, and 3/16 for the actual slider, or vice versa.

i don't normally post over here, but discoweb is down and need some input from someone

3/16th, all the way thru is all you need.
    That is a good design, do you also have the 3 pages of additional diagrams that go with that?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Mike View Post
    3/16th, all the way thru is all you need.
    That is a good design, do you also have the 3 pages of additional diagrams that go with that?
    Mike
    yep sure do, mike. i saved them all to my bookmarks. we figured 3/16th would be plenty.

can't wait to get started. i'll be learning to weld starting tomorrow.

good ole pops is an excellent welder, so i'll be learning from the best. oh and thanks for those diagrams, mike.

What will you be using to bend/conture the 2X4 to follow the lines of the body?
    Mike

i'm going to cut a notch in the top and sides of the 2x4, bend it to follow the lines of the doors, weld it in place., and grind it smooth.

i'm not sure whether bending it once will do the trick or if i'll have to do it a couple of times, but we'll see where we're at when we get to that part of the project.

the u channel that attaches to the sill will be cut with a torch from 3" x 6" x 3/16" tubing.

then we'll drill out the existing holes to allow for a larger bolt and use grade 8 hardware to attach it to the sill.

step one will be cutting the our the u channel, and hopefully we'll have that part done tomorrow.

then i'm just going to paint it with black rust-proof paint. probably some sort of duplicolor or rustoleum. maybe several coats of each.

and i already have front bumper plans drawn up, too. so hopefully that project will take shape in the next few weeks, too.
    Last edited by michaels; 05-26-2008 at 06:40 PM.

bought the metal today. got the 2x3 tubing, but the 3x6 i'll be using to make the sill channel won't be here till monday. they were out of 3/16, so we got .25 wall. these will be super beefy.

one sliders is cut, bent, and welded, the other is halfway done. finishing the other slider and capping them on saturday. the set should be finished and painted by mid next week. pics will come this weekend.

over all, these have been very easy to make.

oh yeah and i learned how to MIG weld today. i'd say i'm pretty good. pics of my first official weld will be up too. (we'll leave the pratice shots in the camera...)

nice very nice.

3/16 is plenty strong. I built my rear bumper outta of that thickness.

good luck with the build
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s

pictures (in progress):
    1.top: unfisinished
    middle:halfway done
    bottom: stock plastic sill.
    2.you can see the bend in them.
    3. my first official MIG weld.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1370.jpg   DSC_1374.jpg   DSC_1366.jpg  

finished them about a week and a half ago.

photos won't upload, so here's the direct link to photobucket.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll160/mds0010/

No joy on the link ... no worky for me! I'd love to see the finished product though as I've been eyeing that design for some time now.

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley