Thread: Clutch and t/o bearing time

Clutch and t/o bearing time

So i am going to do the clutch and t/o as soon as they arrive.

Reading the manual it states that you can do the clutch with out removing the trany from the vehicle. but it states that you have to take it all the way out to do the t/o bearing.

Anyone done a t/o bearing with out taking it out of the vehicle? Looking at the diagrams it doesnt seem hard to do, but i have never done one and other than reading the manual dont have anything to guage it off of.

Thanks!

77 SIII 88.

Hey man, I can't speak for the later vehicles, I think the throw out bearing changed later on. On the early IIA, it was a whole assembly lubricated with 90 weight that was bolted to the front side of the tranny inside the bellhousing. It would be very difficult to remove with the tranny and engine still in the vehicle.

I appreciate it,

I found out that it is eaiser to take the seat box all the way out. Not too much extra work and makes it a lot eaiser to move things around.

The only thing i would do different would be to have a hoist. That trany and tcase is a bit heavy, but not too bad.

Yeah, with the seat box out there's plenty of room. Sorry about the late response, I just realized that you aske the question back in april.