Thread: Clutch system bled now soft brake pedal?

Clutch system bled now soft brake pedal?

Truck is a 1973 Series III with 77K miles on it. The truck had sat since mid-December prior to our move from North Carolina to Idaho. Once we got here I spun her around the town a little bit and noticed the a clutch problem, later diagnosed as the slave cylinder going out so she was parked until I got around to replacing the slave.

Bled the clutch at the slave cylinder last night and everything works ops normal except now the brake pedal is soft. When I pump the brake I get no resistance, but if I let off and press again it works just fine. So as I'm driving along I can push the pedal all the way to the floor and nothing happens, and then I let off completely and when I push in again it has resistance like normal.

Did I miss something when I bled the system? One thing I did notice was when I bled the clutch at the slave the system puked out a lot of blackish fluid and I had assumed it was from the pipes - was this a bad assumption? Everything ran fine prior to this. I do have a small leak on the clutch pedal that I noticed this morning, after the system was bled. Did I stir something up that blew a seal in the MC?

Other than the double-pump brakes the truck runs great!

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

David,
    You have my number, call me.
    Mike

Be sure to check the soft lines for cracks or sleeve weakness, particularly the rear center one. Gently bend em and make sure they are flexible and not dried out/cracking/crumbling.
    The one on my Series III had degraded from age and would bubble there upon hard braking and then require that disconcerting double-pump.

My first thought was air in the system. When I learned to bleed brakes, soft pedal meant keep bleeding...
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Are you sure it was the slave that was bad, and not the master? Not Dominatrix talk either Mike and Steve!
    Rovers
    50 Series 1
    83 110 V8 County Station Wagon