Thread: 2001 Range Rover HSE Check Engine Light

2001 Range Rover HSE Check Engine Light

I just bought a 2001 Range Rover with 88k miles from a Public Auction. Well 2 days later it begins to ride rough and the Check Engine Light came on. I get the following codes.

P0303
    P1319
    P0301B
    P0302
    P1300

and I know

P0303 - Misfire in cylinder 3
    P1319 - Misfire detected with low fuel level
    P0301B - P0301 would be misfire cylinder 1
    P0302 - Misfire detected cylinder 2
    P1300 - Random/Multiple cylinder misfire; catalyst damaging level of misfire on multiple cylinders

My mechanic told me its the fuel injectors but from what I read fuel injectors dont cause misfire codes.

What do you guys think?

Have you looked at the plugs? How many miles on the truck, I bet you will find you need a good set of plugs and Magnecor wires, and maybe an induction cleaning when you are done with the tune up.
    The newer Rovers don't go throuigh injectors but they will run really bad on old plugs and wires.
    Good luck with your new truck,
    Mike

88k miles

So you dont think its the fuel injectors either?

Do you recommend a certain brand of plugs?

Any big retail parts store carry Magnecor wires?

Without seeing it, I am 90 % sure it is not injectors. With your mileage, if you haven't done plugs and wires, you are past do.
    Call Tony, 650-365-4145, the owner of this site, he can set you up with the right plugs and wires and ship them right out to you.
    If you have any questions, feel free to call me.
    Mike
    303-862-7680
    Colorado before 8 pm any day.

Now he says its the ignition coil

According to him he has no fuel pressure tester to test the fuel injectors. But he said he took them out to clean them and now they are fine. But he says I need a ignition coil. Its a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE with 88k miles.

Do you guy think he maybe right with that idea? Is it easy to tell if you have a bad ignition coil? Or do you guys still think to go for new plugs and wires?

Why did you let him remove the injectors, he could have inspected the performance using a good lap top scanner. Sure as hell, you don't need a coil, you need a mechanic who knows his way around a Rover.
    How mechanical are you, if given directions do you want to replace your own plugs and wire, giving you a happy engine again?
    Mike

Just another update. I wasnt getting any spark from one of the coils so I replaced it and cleared the codes.

Drove it 4 miles and I get the codes

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
    P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)

Cleared it and drove another 2 miles and same codes.

Any new thoughts?

In the process of trying to get your truck to run well, did you try and clean your MAF? Those are 2 of the 3 codes that will usually show up when the MAF is failing. Does your exhaust smell like rotten eggs, is your tranny hunting for gears while in 3rd. or 4th.? Have you been running a K&N air filter or have a really dirty paper filter?
    Mike

The air filter was really old so I replaced it. I also cleaned the MAF sensor. The transmission shifts fine.

It does not run rough like it used to before I changed the coil pack.

I checked for air leaks and couldn't see anything.

Took it to a exhaust shop and they said it was fine. No leaks and smells normal.

Transmission shifting is also smooth.

Other than the Check Engine Light with the same 2 codes coming it runs and feels very smooth.

After i changed the air filter and MAF sensor the Service Engine light came on again.

Does it need some time before it should work properly again? If so how much time?

Or other suggestions?