Thread: Pros and Cons of the New LR2

Pros and Cons of the New LR2

I was just wondering for those of you that have driven or seen them in action think about them, I know the two big ones are no low gearing and low clearance but is there really anything else that would hinder this from being a capable off-road vehicle? I have been browsing a few European forums and those guys seem to wheel the LR2 pretty hard with few limitations. And the ride height issue will eventually be resolved by an after market company much like the freelander 1 had.
    Thanks-
    Josh
    2011 BMW 328i Sedan
    2003 DII HSE (SOLD)

I have heard from ScullyOffRoad that they are VERY capable for their size. And lighter weight in the sand and very manuverable. Even Lea McGee commented on their nimbleness. I have been on a run at Hollister where one showed up, and they did everything thrown at it....just with a little more concern to wheel placement and momentum..
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Having had one as a loaner and also followed one all day on a dealer event I think they are a pretty good improvement over the original Freelander. The LR2 did things with ease that I had trouble doing in my Freelander with a 1.5 inch lift and MT/Rs. Granted there is no low range but 1st is geared lower and it has more power and low end torque so it's less likely you'd run out of torque on a hill climb. It still won't crawl like a truck with low range, though. Momentum will still be your friend. As for the suspension, sooner or later someone will come out with taller springs or spacers to lift it up a bit. 1.5 inches on the Freelander worked wonders and I'd suspect the same for the LR2. I think it's probably superb in low traction situations: snow, mud, loose rocks, etc. It's terrain response does everything the big boy's does except raise the suspension.

Just my $0.02
    Brian
    2004 Discovery II G4 Edition - aka Jack
    2002 Freelander SE Gone.
    KØDTJ
    Avatar photo by Ron B., Oregon Discovery Trail 2008

It has the same interior as the LR3, a very good thing. It has a motor that you can actually get parts for unlike the original Freebie, another good thing. It has Rover's traction controll which is widely considered the best out there, yet another good thing. It doesn't have low range, that's not such a good thing although depending on where you want to wheel it may not be much of an issue.

The two main gripes I have with it is the stupid name, are Americans really that dumb that we can't figure out that it's not the same as the original Freelander. And the size, it's noticably longer than my D1, not very small for a "small" SUV.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.

you should talk to rocky. i remember he posted a thread w/ some lr2's that were on the trail w/ him. he said that they did a good job on the trails. i have also seen some pics of the lr2's going through some hard trails in the uk and looked to do very well.

1993 RRC, LWB parting out
    1993 RRC, LWB "Bertha" Parting out. 71,900
    1991 RRC, (dads) RIP, 1990 to 2008. Helping out Rangie owners in 5 Continents.

Looking for a Sii or Siia 88"!

"Like most British cars, the design is intended to drip some of the engine oil on the ground so you know it is not yet empty, and to help replenish the Earth's future oil reserves."
    rr.net

Quote Originally Posted by maxyedor View Post
    It has the same interior as the LR3, a very good thing. It has a motor that you can actually get parts for unlike the original Freebie, another good thing. It has Rover's traction controll which is widely considered the best out there, yet another good thing. It doesn't have low range, that's not such a good thing although depending on where you want to wheel it may not be much of an issue.

The two main gripes I have with it is the stupid name, are Americans really that dumb that we can't figure out that it's not the same as the original Freelander. And the size, it's noticably longer than my D1, not very small for a "small" SUV.
    i know what you mean. it's also like how LR had to change the name of the disco3 to LR3. it's like they need to keep up w/ the hummer's (H2) or something

1993 RRC, LWB parting out
    1993 RRC, LWB "Bertha" Parting out. 71,900
    1991 RRC, (dads) RIP, 1990 to 2008. Helping out Rangie owners in 5 Continents.

Looking for a Sii or Siia 88"!

"Like most British cars, the design is intended to drip some of the engine oil on the ground so you know it is not yet empty, and to help replenish the Earth's future oil reserves."
    rr.net

Quote Originally Posted by daway View Post
    you should talk to rocky. i remember he posted a thread w/ some lr2's that were on the trail w/ him. he said that they did a good job on the trails. i have also seen some pics of the lr2's going through some hard trails in the uk and looked to do very well.
    Here's a couple shots from the LR Rocklin wheels event Rocky led.

It was the first time out for this guy and his LR2

Although it doesn't look like it, this hill is just about at the limit of what my Freelander would do. The little white LR2 scrambled up it with no problems.

Lifted Disco IIs rip their bumpers off on this gully

Running strong and looking good!
    Brian
    2004 Discovery II G4 Edition - aka Jack
    2002 Freelander SE Gone.
    KØDTJ
    Avatar photo by Ron B., Oregon Discovery Trail 2008