Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headliner sagging...what to do?

Headliner sagging...what to do?

If there's one thing I hate, it's a sagging headliner. It reminds me of my friends POS Citation in high-school...now all I need is the smell.

What have people done to address this before? I know that they sell the glue at Autozone, but I've heard that you should just have a guy do it because if you do it will look like crap. I am brave, however, if someone could tell me the process for getting the headliner out...do you take out the headliner to do so? I would assume so.

Is there another option? Is it painted underneath there? Could I just get rid of the stupid thing? My first car didn't even have one (old work truck) which I think is a better option overall. Not if I'd have to have it painted though.

'99 D1 SD in case that matters to construction methodology.

Thanks for the ideas!

There are threads here and at DWeb about pulling/replacing/deleting them. I did it on my RRC, but not a Disco.

Some people RhinoLine them after they get them out as another option. When you get the foam/fabric off of them, they are a type of thin fiberglass that you can spray.

Hopefully someone who has pulled a DI/DII liner can tell you the in/outs.

Scott
    1995 RRC LWB - LT230, $G Front Bumper

In the future ARB's, 4.10's, $G Rear HD bumper, HD axles F/R.

1960 109" 5 Door Station Wagon w/Deluxe Rolled Bonnet with Spare Recess. Frame off restoration. PO setup 289 Mustang with D60 rear end with chromolly inners. Recently moved to Sacramento awaiting a place to finish the resto.

Sagging Headliner

I just had a headliner repaired in our Jag. The upholsterer did the entire job without removing it from the car. The total cost was only about $300.

I was surprised to be able to get it done so cheap.

Ben
    Silver '96 Disco
    OME 2.5" Springs, OME HD Shocks, Borla Exhaust
    ARB Front Bumper and TJM Rear, Custom Sliders, 235/85 MTs, Detroit Tru-Trak, OBA, RTE HD Steering

Yeah...I guess I want to get it done as a forever solution, but definetly don't want to spend 300 bucks. Not that I'm a cheap-ass, but the fact that it gets in the 100s with high humidity here in the summer and then now it is in the zeros with negative wind-chill (yeah Indianapolis) has taken it from virtually no problems to all of this in a season. I know the Rhino Lining would be expensive too, but it sounds sort-of neat and SUPER durable. Any idea of the cost on that? Do they do the tan color like an interior?

Great article in January issue of LRM on doing a DIY project on a D2 headliner if you're looking down the road of removing liner and coating the backing board. Just FYI.

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

Where do I find such an article? Is is available online?

I pulled mine back and used 3M upholstery contact cement spray and slowly smoothed it back. There is a place in the Rover section of the Hemmings that sells headliners for $119. If you take headliner out and peel the fabric off and clean the foam off, you can glue new liner to it. Make sure it is 1/8" material not the 1/4" that most places sell. It will interfere with fasteners and sunroofs.
    Larry K.
    Millstadt ,IL
    2011 LR4 HSE LUX
    Prev. owns: 87 RR Classic, 96 D1 4.0, 96 P38 4.6

most start sagging due to moisture or water leaks. check for stains, if any, fix the leak first. I would get a new one or have an upholstery shop do it. I'm not against DIY but if you mess it up it may be even more expensive to fix a DIY mess or you may end up having to buy a new one anyway. Shop around or check with local community college that may have an autobody or restoration program and let them have a shot at it.

No water leaks that I am aware of...no discoloration on the headliner itself. It's coming down where I would have the sunroofs...if I had sunroofs.

LOL. Most headlingers do sag for those reasons. Rover headliners sag because the sun rises every day and sets every night, they are rubbish! I used staples for a long time. I would rip the fabric out and sand off all the glue crap, then paint it with some real textured flat/non-glossy [insert color of choice] paint.
    Nick