Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timm Cooper's Series Land Rover Disc Brake Conversion

Timm Cooper's Series Land Rover Disc Brake Conversion

Timm Cooper's Series Land Rover Disc Brake Conversion kit is now available again. This kit enables Series Land Rover owners to convert their drum brakes to all around discs like a Defender. You can just do the front axle if you want to. The parts are all bolt on and can be done my the home mechanic with normal tools. The swivel housing of the series Land Rover is removed and replaced by this custom designed hub that accepts Defender Ventilated or standard discs and Calipers. The completed unit is then serviced like a Defender. This will more than double the effectiveness of your braking, especially after water crossings. The braking and drivability will become like that of a newer vehicle. I put a set of these on my 67 Series IIa because I had a Chevy 350 in it. These photos are of my installation.
    The swivel hubs conversion kit for the front axle is $1500 and the rear is $500. Please contact me on flyers2@sbcglobal.net for more information or if you want to order a set.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67 Land Rover BCB Work-b27.jpg   67 Land Rover BCB Work-28.jpg   67 Land Rover BCB Work-29.jpg   67 Land Rover BCB Work-30.jpg   67 Land Rover BCB Work-34.jpg  

Sweet. Now, about the P38 steering box conversion...
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

nice pics where did get them

Quote Originally Posted by Landiman View Post
    The swivel housing of the series Land Rover is removed and replaced by this custom designed hub that accepts Defender Ventilated or standard discs and Calipers.
    I assume you meant something else, since a hub can't be substituted for a swivel housing.

It looks like it widens your track a fair bit, it that true?
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Who's he selling them through?

Bought front and rears for my 61' series iia v8 from Rovers North a few years back. The fronts were complete and installed beautifully. The rears were an entirely different headache!!!! They were shipped with afew parts on backorder. Les at Rovers North spent eleven months trying to get the parts for me, pleding the entire time for me to just send them back and he would refund my money and pay for shipping. I wanted my rears!.. Finally it had been a year with no luck so my mechanic tired of the brakes sitting on his shelf made the decision for me and sent them back.....

Stumbled upon this theard today.... I still want those rears!!! Do you have contact info for Timm or is he sell through Rovers North again? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Ian sandworms@gmail.com

brakes

I believe he is going to sell them through landiman. I was the other half of bcb. We ran into some troubles and disolved the business.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    I assume you meant something else, since a hub can't be substituted for a swivel housing.

It looks like it widens your track a fair bit, it that true?
    the track is increased by 1/2" total in the front and none in the rear.

Can these be used with single circuit MC?

KingSlug

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    Bought front and rears for my 61' series iia v8 from Rovers North a few years back. The fronts were complete and installed beautifully. The rears were an entirely different headache!!!!
    <<SNIP>>
    Stumbled upon this theard today.... I still want those rears!!!
    I assume that you got your money back from Rovers North for the rears as I seriously doubt if BCB was involved in your transaction.

Why do you NEED rear discs? Just curious. Land Rover didn't start using them on Defenders until 1994. All those expensive 1993 North American spec D110s have the same drum rear brakes as came on 109's.

These days I'm driving on front discs (conversion by torrel Industries) and rear drums and am very happy with the overall performance in my heavy weight Land Rover Dormobile. My disc brake conversion web page
    TeriAnn
    1960 Land Rover Dormobile
    1961 Triumph TR3A
    "I still think roll up windows are just a passing fad"
    http://www.expeditionlandrover.info

Need rear discs because...

Only reason I'm still interested in the rear discs is for towing purposes. The front discs really help with stopping my V8. But under a full load on a steep mountain incline I've had enough white knuckle experiences to want more braking power!