Thread: Johnson Rods on an LR4 full time?

Johnson Rods on an LR4 full time?

Ok, bit the bullet and picked up a 2012 LR4 HSE with 25k on the odo. Pretty happy with the deal over all, love the upgrade in technology and comfort. Not very happy with the less rugged-ness of the 4 though.

My 3 was on a EMU HD coil over conversion, with a 2" lift. Also, was running oversize 275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's (32") tires. Loved that truck set up that way. I'm not a heavy off roader. Being that I'm in real estate development, I do need to get through some rough stuff, several times a year. I never once, lost confidence in it's abilities to get through ruts or over the occasional downed tree.

I can see I'm going to have issues with my 4 though, especially with the running boards which I may delete. So, what I'm considering setting up is:
    -Johnson rods (2.5" lift) full time
    -18" Compomotive wheels
    -275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's (32") tires
    -Fresh alignment

What do you all think of this set up? Should I be concerned about service life of the air bags/compressor? Any other concerns about EAS faults etc? Anyone out there running lift rods full time? Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Brian

06 LR3/D3 SE7, 275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's

Johnson Rods Lift Full Time plus BFG AT KO2 275/65 18 and Compomotive PD1881

With no input from my good friends on this community, I will be the guinea pig.

I picked up the Johnson Rods and installed them 4/22/18. Process was easy. Most posts/videos you see have the wheels off, but it's not necessary. I just put the 4 in extended off road height, tossed some jack stands under her, and had plenty of clearance to work.

I won't go through the whole install as there's enough info already out there on this. But I will say that most guys are using some forked pry-bar of sorts and wrangling the OEM sensor rods off. I did spray them sparingly with WD40. I used a small metal pick, inserted it through the sensor rod bushing parallel to the mounting point. Then I turned the handle of the pick perpendicular to the mounting point, and the rods popped right off. Install was easy as well, just popped them on.

I rode around on the new rods for 4 weeks, checked the EAS faults 2-3 times per week. I'm happy to report, I had no issues the entire time. After this experience I felt comfortable ordering my new set up:
    -Johnson rods (2.5" lift) full time
    -18" Compomotive wheels
    -275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's (32") tires
    -Fresh alignment

After a few days now, I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the overall result. The 4 sits up higher, like my 3 did. it looks like she grew about 4 inches altogether, with the rods and the 32" tires. Drive-wise, it is a little "floaty". I'd say that most of that is coming from the larger tire set up, not from the lift. As I mentioned, I drove it around lifted with the stock 19" setup for a few weeks and really didn't notice much difference.

I'm also happy to say, I've got plenty of clearance to leave the running boards installed (the wife is happy about that as well). It's got about 14" to the running boards in normal height, and about 17" in off road, which is what I need. Bonus is the rugged looks are back!

Now I just need to know who's in the market for some 19" wheels, with only 27k miles on them???

With Johnson Rods, Stock Wheels/tires, Normal Height
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	820.8 KB 
ID:	30896

Johnson Rods installed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	648.8 KB 
ID:	30897