Thread: It'll crank, it won't fire

It'll crank, it won't fire

Well, of course it's December, and I have just paid for the new registration and NYS Inspection.

Last night, I was stranded in a lot. It started fine when I left home, but when we were returning home, it wouldn't start. Starter cranks like crazy, so the battery and starter are good. So, I get it towed home, and in the process of trying to get it off the flatbed into my garage, it fires right up and runs fine. I had the parts to change wires and plugs. Did that. Magnecors and Bosch Iridium plugs. Now it won't fire again. Also, the old plugs didn't look too bad. Some black on some of them.

Also, when I have the key in the "on" position, a relay in the lower right footwell clicks rapidfire.

Anyone know what I need to do to figure this out? I don't have an CEL code, because it isn't running.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Holidays, whatever your holiday is!

Bill
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

Can you hear the fuel pump pressurizing the system? Had an Audi that did that to me, turned out it was a bad pump relay. My 2 pence.
    Hope the new year starts (no pun intended) better.
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

Well, the new year didn't start so well. Down for the count with the flu, and I haven't had a chance to work on the Rover at all. No, the fuel pump isn't energizing. It also seems that I have no spark. My indy Rover Guy, PTSchram wants me to start looking for bad grounds. Oh yeah, it's -1 out today. Back to bed.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!

Yeah, seems electrical, check the fuel pump relay as well and the immo, since yours I assume is a GEM (ironic name)
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

So, the D1 is still not fixed. A day or two after it broke down, I got the flu, and the outside temps plummetted. So I had it towed to the dealer, Land Rover Rochester, NY about a week ago, after calling them, and getting their ok.

The day after it arrived there, they called and said they were backed up on service, and it would be a week before they could look at it. The Service Manager also mentioned something about the owner of the dealership asking why it was there ( I guess they don't like older Rovers on their lots). I told them I would wait. Yesterday, I got a voicemail saying the truck "wasn't even on their radar yet". So, today, I called LR North America to complain. Their rep called the dealer and told me I had never "made an appointment"! WTF? Why was the truck there? They also told her that they were making appointments two weeks out now. I am wondering why they never suggested this to me directly? Some internal bureaucratic BS they are using to put me off even more, and get me to pull the truck from their lot? The only problem is the next closest dealer is in Buffalo, NY, 80 miles away!

Now, the LRNA rep I spoke with called them back to make the appointment, and they put her off! They didn't want her "waiting on hold that long"!

I am a pretty reasonable guy. I don't shout and scream at employees in businesses, who are taking orders from higher ups who make lousy decisions. I have never been confrontational to anyone in that dealership. I don't blame a tech or service manager for having to do his/her job to avoid losing it, even when they know they are doing the wrong thing.

This may be the end of my time with Land Rover. Toyota doesn't treat their customers this way.

I'll keep you posted. Sorry for the rant.
    Brockflock

They don't care about anything older than a few years, I wouldn't blame you if you trade...
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa