Thread: It's that time of year...

It's that time of year...

...when my D1 has to pass NYS inspection, and it starts throwing codes. I used to have a code reader, but it died. So I am in the market for a new one. My last one was an Actron. It ran about 60 bucks. I think that came to about $1.00 per use.

Any suggestions on a well made one that won't cost me hundreds? I don't want to pay more for it than what the D1 is worth these days!

Thanks. I hope you all get a brand new set of Snap On tools for the Holidays! :-)
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

Walmart has one as cheap as 15 bucks, don't know anything about it but it's worth the gamble for that little amount.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/OxGord-OB...Van/361966095?

There are also a number of offerings in $50-$100 range that plug into the OBD port and send the info to an app on your phone.

I have a friend who has a Scangauge, a nice little unit that you leave plugged into the OBD port and mount the readout on the dash which lets you monitor a lot of engine functions all the time.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Thanks. I may give that Scanguage. Sounds like it might help me out.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!