Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Conditioning Troubleshooting

Once you've removed the climate control panel as I described above, you've done about half the work required to remove the entire center dash panel. There are bunch of screws holding it in, mostly hidden in various places. Pull out the ash tray and the air suspension switch panel, take a pic of the plugs on the back of the air suspension switches so you can see later where the color coded plugs go, and then unplug them and remove the switch panel. There are 4 screws now exposed, two on each side, remove them and slide the entire drink holder cassette out.

Remove the radio (let me know if you need further instructions for this, I don't know if you still have factory radio or not) and then carefully release the tabs that hold the thin filler strip under the radio which has the alarm LED in the center. Disconnect the wires to the LED (or it may simply slide out of the rubber grommet, I don't recall at the moment) and you'll find two screws under that filler strip, and two more at the top of the radio opening that are practically hidden until you get down under it and look up into the opening.

The last two screws are behind the clock/hazard light assembly, which simply pulls out, and on the other side, the module containing the 6 switches I mentioned in my earlier post. To do this you need to pull the two center switches and then you can see the screw behind them. The center panel may pop out easily with all six switches in it, or it may be easier to remove them one at a time. Again, take a pic (or several) of the colored plugs on the back of each switch to aid in reassembly. Theoretically they will only go back in one place but there a couple switches which have the same colored plugs: the fog lights and dome lights both have white plugs and the cruise control and rear window defroster both have blue plugs, so take note of the wire colors to each plug.

To remove the clock/hazard light assembly, it too just pulls out but what will probably happen is that you will pop the bezel around the clock off as it's the only thing you can get your fingertips under but it usually just snaps right back into place. Try not to break it though, and if it does come off, leave it off till you get the clock out.

Once you have all ten screws out and all switches out of the way, you should be able to remove the center panel. Again, go gently and don't force anything, it often take a bit of finagling to get it out. It will probably bring the center dash vent extensions on the back with it, be especially careful of them, particularly the vent control levers and such, they break of easily (if they haven't already done so just from normal use.) But fear not if you do break them or they're already broken, DI dash vents and parts will fit.

Putting it back is a little tricky, mainly in getting the wiring plugs fed though and the vent extensions lined up properly. Its a very fiddly process and I've had it take longer to get it all back together than it took to get it apart. Getting the radio wiring back into place and the radio all the way in can also be a PITA.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

This is great info. Thank you.

I'll have to set aside some time to do this. The last dash assembly I saw for sale was listed for $750. The last thing I want to do is break it. I'd like to source a known good working switch to test with.
    1995 RRC SWB
    2005 LR3 G4 Challenge
    2012 Mustang BOSS 302 Laguna Seca
    1965 Mustang 289 4spd
    1963 Jeep Wagoneer

I have a known good AC switch to test with and plan to tackle this repair shortly.

There is an aftermarket radio installed but I have a good used factory unit I'd like to swap in. How do I get the radio out?
    1995 RRC SWB
    2005 LR3 G4 Challenge
    2012 Mustang BOSS 302 Laguna Seca
    1965 Mustang 289 4spd
    1963 Jeep Wagoneer