Thread: LR3 leaking in California storms

LR3 leaking in California storms

My 2005 LR3 is collecting interior water primarily in:

• The front passenger footwell
    • The door sills under the trim (where wiring harnesses are)
    • The seatbelt roll/retractor in b-pillar is soaked

I have already checked/replaced the following
    • driver side 90 degree drain connected in the footwell (about 1.5 years ago)
    • all 4 sunroof drain tubes clearly evacuate water from the sunroof tray (I can pour cups of water in the tray and it evacuates from all 4 tubes rapidly without water build-up in vehicle)
    • the cabin/pollen filter & blower area behind the glovebox is completely dry, so no apparent windscreen cowl issue
    • zero leaking from the headliner anywhere that I can feel/detect
    • confirmed it is not air-con condensate
    • have ordered the A-piller exterior trim repair kit just in case

Any other ideas where this water could be coming from? What seems really weird to me is the fact that the seatbelt at the retractor (in the b-pillar) is literally soaking wet. Could the roof rails be leaking?

-Kevin
    Last edited by ksuttle; 02-18-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    Kevin
    KJ6IBK

2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
    2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Rack

UPDATE

I poured water over the roof rails and BAZINGA...water flowing down the b-pillar. I've pulled the roof rack and rails. I found plastic washers and what appears to be cracked sealant/caulking of some sort around the nuts welded to the roof - it is under the layer of body paint and clear coat...so it is something from the factory. The material is relatively soft...so I'm thinking its not the weld itself but some sort of sealant that's cracked over the course of 12 years.

I'm going to clean it all up, dry it with a blow dryer, apply my own caulk and put it all back together again before the rain starts up to see how it does.
    Kevin
    KJ6IBK

2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
    2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Rack

Work is done for the day. Now we wait to see what happens in the next storm.

Here are some pictures of what I found (not sure why the form is rotating them):

The roof rail on my other LR3 has little caps over the screw holes...this LR3 does not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8495-2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	741.0 KB 
ID:	30867

You can see the cracked stuff (sealant?)

Name:	IMG_8497.JPG 
Size:	706.6 KB 
ID:	30868

You can see more cracked stuff (sealant?)

Name:	IMG_8499-2.JPG 
Size:	761.8 KB 
ID:	30869

Everything apart...

Name:	IMG_8501.JPG 
Size:	789.3 KB 
ID:	30870
    Kevin
    KJ6IBK

I see you solved it. I was going to suggest the roof rails. They were part of the special paint project from LRNA. They caused a few problems for me when running a heavy roof rack. Some of those bolts are not like the others :-)
    LR3 related tips and misc info: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/.
    Off road and family adventure photography: www.nwoods.smugmug.com

Kevin , was this Nathan's rig from days of old ? Neil :-)

Quote Originally Posted by neil p View Post
    Kevin , was this Nathan's rig from days of old ? Neil :-)
    Indeed

LR3 related tips and misc info: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/.
    Off road and family adventure photography: www.nwoods.smugmug.com

Wow. Yes...some of the bolts are not like the others. The rails even have some slight damage (bolts pushed through, etc.) from use.
    Kevin
    KJ6IBK