Thread: Megasquirt or Mark Adams chip?

Megasquirt or Mark Adams chip?

Hi everybody.

I currently have a RRC 1990 3.9, no cat.
    Fitted also with lpg.
    Car is fine but when i bought a was given a megajolt spark control kit with coils and everything.
    Now i want to ad something more to control fuel.

What is best way to go. Fit a chip or fit a megasquirt fuel inly ecu?

Thank you for you thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of comparing apple to oranges. A Mark Adams Tornado chip is a great upgrade for the ECU, you tell Mark what your setup is, he custom programs the chip for you and it's simply Plug 'n Play. The Megasquirt is an entire engine management system that takes quite a bit of installation, you even replace the distributor with a crank trigger system with coil packs, and then you have to learn how to use the software to program it all. It's quite a bit of a learning curve but the rewards are probably greater IF you spend the time to learn how to use it to its' fullest potential...many users don't, they simply install it and just run with the default programming. It's also at least three times the cost of the Tornado chip, and that's if you do the install yourself...even more if you have someone else do it.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
    Kind of comparing apple to oranges. A Mark Adams Tornado chip is a great upgrade for the ECU, you tell Mark what your setup is, he custom programs the chip for you and it's simply Plug 'n Play. The Megasquirt is an entire engine management system that takes quite a bit of installation, you even replace the distributor with a crank trigger system with coil packs, and then you have to learn how to use the software to program it all. It's quite a bit of a learning curve but the rewards are probably greater IF you spend the time to learn how to use it to its' fullest potential...many users don't, they simply install it and just run with the default programming. It's also at least three times the cost of the Tornado chip, and that's if you do the install yourself...even more if you have someone else do it.
    Hi there
    And thanks for your detailed explanation.
    Actually i have a megajolt spark only kit which i will fit to this car. As i would like to have two separate maps for spark. One for lpg and one for petrol. So that should cover it. Mark adams chip, i am getting one from tornado systems which have been very helpful. Will fit everything myself so i guess i will save a lot on installation costs.
    And this should be a reliable setup i guess with the edis8 module will be also waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk