Thread: Thinking about buying a Disco II. What is the 4.6L engine, exactly?

Roswell, New Mexico. Yep, the alien crash site.

Thinking about buying a Disco II. What is the 4.6L engine, exactly?

Looking at replacing my D1 with a D2. Is the 4.6L the same basic engine block as the 4.0 in my D1? They basically look the same, except for all the ancillaries. I tried to decipher the Wiki, but it didn't make sense to me. If somebody could explain the differences, it would be appreciated. Also feel free to weigh in about whether you prefer the Disco 1 or Disco II, and why. This is a tough decision, as I've had mine since about 2008, and has been a delight to own and drive (it's my daily). It has about 180K on it, and It's just getting so worn out I have to restore it, or replace it...
    Thanks, Kelly

4.6 is displacement. more power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chuck (KI6WSR)

2004 White Disco II with 3" RTE Lift with Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 ProComp Tyres & wheels, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage. ARB Lockers Front & Rear, heavy duty rear axles, drive shafts, and CV joints from GBR. CB and Ham.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker7 View Post
    Looking at replacing my D1 with a D2. Is the 4.6L the same basic engine block as the 4.0 in my D1? They basically look the same, except for all the ancillaries. I tried to decipher the Wiki, but it didn't make sense to me. If somebody could explain the differences, it would be appreciated. Also feel free to weigh in about whether you prefer the Disco 1 or Disco II, and why. This is a tough decision, as I've had mine since about 2008, and has been a delight to own and drive (it's my daily). It has about 180K on it, and It's just getting so worn out I have to restore it, or replace it...
    Thanks, Kelly
    I've thought the same occasionally and then given up on the thought. My D1 is in pretty good shape, give or take a few issues. It's 20 years old with 420k km on it, but with a good engine, which has had various bits - alternator, water pump, PS pump, turbo, suspension bits and so on replaced over time. Any D2 I'm likely to find will be nearly as old, with close to similar mileage and may need a lot of similar maintenance, so could end up costing a lot more than just replacing the vehicle.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk