Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble after Head gasket replacement Code P1316 and oil light on

Like I said before, it makes me suspicious that there's no ticking of the lifters, and you did say that the oil filter had filled up. I think it might be a good idea to check the oil pressure with a gauge at this point.

There is a way around pulling the oil pump to prime it. Your oil pump is built into the timing cover and driven by the crankshaft, so there's a fair amount of work involved with removing it. What I've done in the past to prime this style of oil pump is to undo the upper oil cooler line from the radiator and fill the line with oil from a 1 quart oil bottle with the little cone-shaped filler adapter from a bottle of gear oil, you probably know the kind I'm talking about. I always save those just for things like this, I screw it onto the bottle and slip a short length of appropriate size hose over the end with the other end hooked to the oil cooler line and squeeze the bottle to force oil into the line and down into the oil pump. I've done it several times and it's always worked.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Thank you again for the help, sure that priming tip sounds like a more better option that the disassemble, would I add the oil quarter on top of the regular amount? or do I need to drain and then refill a quarter short?

Reading again the thread, and following your logic, (that makes perfect sense) the fact that there is oil on the filter would prove that the pump is primed, now, i'm going to say what I'm thinking and please forgive me if it does not make sense or, makes me sound like an idiot.

If the pump is "working" by moving oil, but not creating enough flow to raise the pressure, could it be that the pick up is clogged?
    Or, could the Oil pressure regulator be stuck open preventing the system to create pressure?

Yesterday I was thinking it could be priming, but what you say makes sense to me, and I'm not so sure priming is the issue now...
    it makes me suspicious that there's no ticking of the lifters, and you did say that the oil filter had filled up

It would only take a small amount of oil to prime it, if it becomes necessary to try that I'd just add it on top of what's already there rather than drain any out. Yes, I suppose it's possible that the pickup screen is partly (or mostly) clogged but given what you said earlier about there being no sludge in the top end and looking like it was well taken care of, I highly doubt that's the problem. A stuck oil pressure relief valve is more likely, and it's accessible from the outside so it's easy to remove and check/clean. Additionally, it seals to the front cover with an O-ring which after 18 years is likely hard as a rock, and is the cause of many mysterious oil leaks around the area of the oil filter on these engines.

But at this point, I think we're just taking shots in the dark till we get an actual oil pressure reading. I suppose you could remove the new sending unit and then disconnect the ignition so it won't fire (or trigger the Inertia switch on the firewall with the engine running and it will run out of gas and die within a few seconds and then remove the oil sending unit) and with it out, have someone briefly crank the engine while you look for a nice jet of oil to shoot out the hole. That won't tell you actual oil pressure but it will at least verify flow.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
    But at this point, I think we're just taking shots in the dark till we get an actual oil pressure reading.
    Agree..! I just pick'ed up the manometer, and hopefully tomorrow will take the reading, I guess, if I'm lucky the new pressure switch is defective...

Anyway, I will update the thread when I get any news...
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Tito De Hoyos; 10-08-2016 at 08:06 AM.

As I said, I got the tester kit, but none of the adaptors fit the Oil pressure switch thread.

This is the kit I got
    I've read and read, and think this is the size adapter I need, 1/8 27 NPT to 1/2 20 unf, but I cant find it anywhere, I went to Lowes, Home depot, Autozone and O'reilly and can't find it.
    Is 1/2 20 the correct thread for the Oil pressure switch on the Disco98 ?
    Does anyone has an idea of where can I get this adapter?

I finally got the adapter, at an hydraulic shop, will update the thread when I test the pressure
    Last edited by Tito De Hoyos; 10-12-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Got the adapter.

O finally connected the pressure gauge, when I took out the new pressure switch, noticed that didn't had any oil, and when I took the filter out, noticed that was half filled with oil only (before I had just unscrew it a bit, and got a little oil dripping and I assumed it was filled with oil)>
    Anyway, I started the engine with the gauge, and sure enough I have zero pressure.

So I guess its going to be a prime issue.
    When I put together the engine, I put oil on all the parts I was able to, before putting the covers, and I guess that has helped a bit.

Should I check the Oil pressure regulator before trying to prime?
    When trying your priming method, I assume I need to have the pressure switch and the filter installed right?

Thank you again...

Well, I just finished trying for today, and I guess I got mixed results, the light still on, but it's apparent that the pump is trying to move the oil, because when I started the engine the hose was not tight, and it started spitting oil, like a water pump when is starting, but the pressure never build up, I was thinking is it would help if instead of putting oil on the upper hose, I use a pump and pry to pump it out from the lower hose would be a good idea?
    Or a combination of both?