Thread: 1999 Disco I SD

1999 Disco I SD

Won't start.Probably the starter, but I think I am done.
    List of things replaced since 2013:
    MAF
    Stepper Motor.
    Throttle Position Sensor
    Brakes and most brake lines (D90 Calipers on front, with D90 Rotors) Stainless flex lines front and back. Copper/zinc lines from ABS to Rear. EBC Pads with less than 5000 mi on them.
    Fuel Pump and pressure control valve.
    Springs and shocks replaced about 5000 miles ago: Standard ride, springs, no lift. Bilstein Shocks
    Rear door release lever replaced.

Head gaskets replaced on 2011. Heads remilled.
    Still has Michelin XPC spare. Might have 50 miles on it. No rot visible on spare. Cooper Discoverer ATRs - still legal, but just barely.

Battery is good.
    Has a custom built flat towing mount on the front. Will attach to a Blue OX Aventa II tow bar. Was towed around the country in 2001-2001 behind a motorhome.

I have a Yakima roof mount pair of bars to mount a box to. They attach to the roof gutters. Bar mounts have key locks. Still ahve the cross bars to the factory roof rack as well.

I have a second set of front seats - one seam is split, and the Driver's seat in the spare set doesn't heat. Electric seats.
    Brand new, still in the box water pump. Never used. Pump on the vehicle has about 50k mi. Idler has about 20k mi. Water pump wrench too.

Big problems:

CEL has been on for two years. Something to do with fuel and air mixture. Seems to be fuel rail pressure. Since everything related has been replaced, I don't know where to start next. It has some trouble, intermittently, keeping a proper idle.

Tranny is weak. From a stop, it always works, shifts well, but it is sluggish from a stop in drive. Filter never has been changed. Fluid has.

I purchased it from Land Rover Amherst (NY), but it has spent most of its life in North Carolina, Ohio and Indiana. Last few years here, but two of those years were in the garage, unregistered. Frame has surface rust, but is not weak anywhere. Body has scratches down the side from going through a barbed wire fence long ago. Wheel wells have rusted through in places. Lights all work. Alarm system works. Original Radio works. Have the owner's manual, and the radio code card. Still have the original rubber floor mats (in reasonable condition). Both keys and fobs work.

Axles and Xfer case seem fine. Might need new seals at swivel housings. Original drive shafts.

I have had this since it was new. By far the best vehicle I have ever had. Comfortable enough to drive for 14 hours straight with no stiffness in my aging body!

I have various parts and pieces as well. Too much to note here, but they all go with it. No reason to keep parts for a truck I won't have anymore.

Located near Rochester, NY. Looking for $1500.00.

PM with any questions.

Thanks.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

We can all relate but you know you are probably not done, right?.... it's hard to quit.
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

Well, It's getting easier to quit every day.

Still can't shake the CEL. Dealer can't figure it out either. I'm tired of buying tools to try to diagnose it. And it's not worth the money to buy a good diagnostic tool that can do live data.

By the end of this month, it's headed for the junkyard if I can't sell.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. While I am quite far away and not in the market for another land rover at this point, I am interested in the defender brake conversion parts if you end up deciding to send it to the crusher.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

No longer for sale. CEL is done!

I tried so many things to get that &%$)*&&$## light to go out! It's been to the dealer for diagnostics, I have replaced so many parts, and I have tried Lucas Fuel additive, Seafoam, you name it. Nothing worked. Everyone I sopke with had an idea that seemed to make sense, yet nothing worked.

Finally, I was in the local NAPA talking about my troubles, and they suggested I try CRC "Guaranteed To Pass" fuel system cleaner. So, I filler it with 93 octane non-ethanol fuel, and tossed in a bottle. In 1/4 tank, the light went out, and that was over 150 miles ago. I even put back my old, original MAF too, after sealing the metal plate on the side with silicone caulk! It's not pretty, but the sucking sound that made me replace it three years ago is gone. Anyway, my mileage is back to where it should be, more or less, instead of a lousy 250 per tank.

So, the day before I buy this stuff, I am stopped in a parking lot, and some dork in a Jeep backs into me from his parking space. It takes me five minutes of close searching before I find the only damage I have is the rt rear marker light on the bumper cap. I was so disgusted with the idea of my Disco going to the junk yard, I told him to forget about it. What's the point of filing a claim on a car that seems destined for the great beyond, right? Maybe that was my karma? Who knows? Stranger things have happened.

I have a replacement exhaust on order (mine has about six holes in it now!), and new tires are ordered too. The tires are good for 70k mi., so I guess that could be the next time I might look to sell, if the salt doesn't totally murder it first.
    Brockflock

Glad to hear it's back on the road. I hate seeing them at the scrap yard.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come