Thread: Read/Reset SRS on 1996 Discovery 1?

Read/Reset SRS on 1996 Discovery 1?

I turned my SRS light on, by blowing it's fuse (in a stupid moment). I'd like to buy a OBD2 scanner that will read/reset it but can't find any (for less that a few thousand). Is there a scanner for my 1996 Discovery 1 that I can buy (or borrow)?

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Unfortunately, nobody has yet come up with a way (that I know of) to reset the SRS light on a DI or '95 Classic that's do-able at home. It has to be done with an Autologic or Testbook system, big bucks, even used. I had to have it done at a shop, and even though it's very simple with the right tool and takes about 2 minutes, they generally want to charge an hour minimum (unless you know someone who will do it as a favor) and so will tell you that if it came on that it means there's a fault in the system and they'll have to inspect and diagnose it. However, the most common cause of an SRS light suddenly appearing is a low voltage situation like you experienced. I've had it happen by trying to start a truck with an almost dead battery.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Personally I've been ignoring that light since 3 Land Rovers ago...
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

I worked on a '955 RRC once that had a piece of electrical tape over the light. I always wondered that they went to the trouble to take the cluster out and remove the lens so they could stick that piece of tape on the face, why they didn't simply remove the bulb from the back.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
    I worked on a '955 RRC once that had a piece of electrical tape over the light. I always wondered that they went to the trouble to take the cluster out and remove the lens so they could stick that piece of tape on the face, why they didn't simply remove the bulb from the back.
    They got scared probably, you need to take most of the thing apart to remove those bulbs, not for the faint of heart for sure
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa