Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Won't start

Turns out, that module is not on my car. Mine is a gray box withe a red wire antenna sticking out of it above the cardboard in the passenger footwell.

I got that out. All solder joints look perfect. Not any cracks or discoloration.

Next: neutral safety switch? How do i get to that?
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

IT LIVES! The immobiliser and the ignition switches are fine.
    The neutral safety switch is the problem. I jumpered the small wire from the starter right to the battery, and it fired right up. It is now back home in my garage, where I can work on it. I already have the center console out, and have reinstalled the portions of dash and steering column.

Finally, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, next question: Anyone know how to bypass that neutral safety switch? I see what I think are the wires for it, but which do I jumper?

Thanks!
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!

I though the inertia safety switch only cuts the fuel pump, not the starter...

You test only proves that Voltage is not getting to the starter but not that the inertia switch is at fault, and if I remember well, it's just 2 cables, you short them and it should be bypassed...

I recommend you get the RAVE electric diagram and follow all the steps from the key to the starter and see which one is failing...

HTH
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

The Neutral Safety Switch is what keeps the starter from getting the signal to operate when the gearshift is not in neutral or park. It has nothing to do with the fuel pump. In other words, it is only of value when starting the vehicle, to keep the driver from starting it while it is gear.

The inertia safety switch shouldn't need to cut off the starter (IMO, generally) because the vehicle would already be running when an accident would trigger it to cut off gas, unlock the doors, etc.

I do agree that a wiring diagram would be useful. My RAVE file doesn't seem to have that. Anyone want to send me a diagram of the electrical wiring on the Neutral Safety Switch? I may be looking to bypass it altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by dcproven View Post
    I though the inertia safety switch only cuts the fuel pump, not the starter...

You test only proves that Voltage is not getting to the starter but not that the inertia switch is at fault, and if I remember well, it's just 2 cables, you short them and it should be bypassed...

I recommend you get the RAVE electric diagram and follow all the steps from the key to the starter and see which one is failing...

HTH
    Brockflock

D'oh!
    brain fart sorry, send me your email by PM, I can share it with you... but if you have RAVE, the electric diagram is part of it, there is one for the 97 on Disco I electric diagrams....
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

It says this as well:
    "On automatic transmission vehicles, a ground path is provided to the Starter Solenoid Relay’s (K137) 86 terminal via the Park/Neutral Position Switch (X167)."
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Quote Originally Posted by dcproven View Post
    It says this as well:
    "On automatic transmission vehicles, a ground path is provided to the Starter Solenoid Relay’s (K137) 86 terminal via the Park/Neutral Position Switch (X167)."
    Got your email. Not sure what I am looking for in the attachment. Sorry, I have no technical training on this stuff.
    Brockflock

Even if you do is confusing at times... but search for the neutral switch, in all diagrams, try to follow the lines, you should see colors for the cables and where they end and start. Based on the above if you put the right one to ground it should cancel the switch, but I haven't tried, so ....
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Well, my starting problem disappeared for a while after the neutral safety switch was by passed. It came back.
    This time, I tapped the starter with a hammer, and it stared. Then I replaced it (it was a cheap Chinese made POS I got from AB three years ago), with a starter from a local parts shop. This one is a Bosch rebuild. It is slightly bigger, and cost $50.00 LESS! So far so good. One day soon, I am going to reverse the bypass of the neutral safety switch and see how that goes.
    Brockflock

Just an update. I have had ZERO starting problems since I replaced the starter. I guess AB doesn't like selling parts that last anymore. Now that the patents on the D1 parts have run out, I don't have to buy Allmakes junk anymore. There are other companies who make the parts, and they do much better. Over the past few years, every part manufactured by Allmakes has been wrong: Brake calipers with the wrong size mounting holes drilled, lousy brake rotors that weren't milled flat... I could go on and on.

Anyway, thanks to all who tried to help. It's always appreciated!
    Brockflock