Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't start

Won't start

Well, I get in, turn the key, and I hear the standard clicking of various electrical stuff in the passenger side footwell. But the starter doesn't seem to be getting the signal to do something.

Starter is about 2 years old. Battery is good, and fairly new.

In the past several years, I have had it do this on the first turn of the key. Then, after turning it off all the way, it would fire right up on the second try. It seemed to be nothing more than a quirk. Today, I tried it several times, but nothing.

Any have any ideas? It's my daily driver and I can't get to work without it.

Thanks.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

Make sure battery is charged. Do a load test on battery. Check an see if charged voltage is 12.75volts or higher. If you get vehicle running, check voltage at battery while running, should be 13-14Volts, which means alternator is OK. If any voltage check or load check is under par, replace offending part.
    Larry K, ASE
    Millstadt ,IL
    2011 LR4 HSE LUX
    Prev. owns: 87 RR Classic, 96 D1 4.0, 96 P38 4.6

Battery is a top of the line. Only 2 years old. Never had any sluggish start. I got to work one day, everything fine, and when I went to leave, NADA! I did look at the starter, and the main cable was loose. It is now tightened, but the starter isn't reacting at all.

The relay is working in the passenger side footwell, I even switched it with another down there of same kind. Everything else works normally when I turn the key. Starter is only 2 years old. I am thinking it may be the neutral safety switch. What do you think? If so, where is it located, and how hard to change?

I will pull the battery tonight and take it for testing.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!

Immobilizer?
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

That is the button mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment? Just have to push it, right?
    If so, then I have tried that.
    Brockflock

No, I meant the alarm immobilizer, which is a module deep in the center console, there are some sites that explain how to bypass, even there is a LR part for that, with age, the immo goes crazy and prevents the truck from starting, if you haven't done that, it may be due...
    thank all those beautiful cold/bad soldering Lucas did
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Battery showing 12.2v.

Small wire on starter not getting any juice when the key is turned.

Who knows about this immobilizer? And the bypass proceedure?

The truth will out!
    Brockflock

<DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

That looks like the same problem from my window ECU! Heck, I can do that! I already have had the radio out so many times, that I tossed the locking screws! Couple of good bumps, and it slides out!

Now I know what I am doing this weekend after driving to my daughter's school to a scholarship luncheon! ("Scholarship?", you ask> Yep, I own a Rover, so she needs one!)

Thanks again! This is the best forum going! You guys always come through!
    Last edited by Brockflock; 09-28-2016 at 06:25 PM.
    Brockflock

Cool, report back your findings...
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>