Thread: Diagnostic Tool

Diagnostic Tool

I am looking for a Diagnostic Tool that will read the specific codes for my 1999 D1. I do not want an OBDII tool, I already have that. I also would like to not pay more for the tool than the vehicle is worth. Does anyone have suggestions/offers?

I keep getting a CEL that my OBDII says Manufacturer controlled air and fuel system. Doesn't really give me useful info. I am fairly sure it has to do with the rail pressure, but I have replaced every part of that: Filter, sending unit and pressure regulator. I have also replaced the MAF, TPS, and the other dohickey right next to the TPS (name escapes me now). Something is defective, but I can't figure out which part. There are no leaks (I never smell gas), but the fuel lines drain out overnight. In the morning, I can hear the pump pushing air out of the system if I turn the key to ON for a few seconds before starting the engine.

My guess is that there is a problem with the pressure regulator, or the pump has a bad check valve of some kind.

Thanks.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

Get an icarsoft scanner off of Amazon. They are vehicle specific (i.e. Land Rover / jag, bmw, Mercedes) but they work well and they are inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1992 RRC
    - 4.6L V8
    - GDE Winch Bumper
    - LT230
    - 3" Rovertym springs
    - Kargomaster Roof Rack
    - 255/85-16 BFG M/T
    NCLR083

I doubt you need anything beyond an OBDII scanner for the GEMS engine.

If you haven't yet, read this http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/GEMS/GEMSbyPoole.pdf
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

I just got back from the dealer, who tells me they think all of the "adaptions" need to be cleared too. I am not sure of that word, but he says it is how the computer registers a new part, such as the MAF being replaced.

Will the iCarSoft unit do that ?
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

Any obd2 unit, including icarsoft will reset your monitors... driving the vehicle is what resets it adaptations. Disconnecting the battery for several minutes will do the same thing usually, but either way you have to drive the vehicle so that it can learn and adapt to all of its monitoring systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1992 RRC
    - 4.6L V8
    - GDE Winch Bumper
    - LT230
    - 3" Rovertym springs
    - Kargomaster Roof Rack
    - 255/85-16 BFG M/T
    NCLR083