Thread: leaking head gaskets?

leaking head gaskets?

97 disco 1 ome springs shocks bilstein steering damper 105k miles just had the steering pump and high pressure hose changed cause i heard grinding from a bearing,local indy shop said my heads were leaking [both sides in rear] my truck isn,t smoking at all or spitting water or overheating [at all] coolant is dripping after car is turned off and sitting for awhile [until cool] reservoir was overfilled a little,my questions are is it possible for both sides to be leaking? do heater hoses travel back there cause i do hear water shlossing behind my dash,where might i look for hose leaks,and in case it is my heads has anyone tried blue devil or steel or other head gasket stop leak products [water glass type additive] repairing or changing head gaskets are crazy expensive [$1800 quote] and cost more than the truck is worth,feedback would be great,also compression still good [around 140 in all cyl],thanks,oh also coolant coming from front,i think it,s my pump! cause today drove and heard grinding [not all the time] so waterpump next!don't mind changing old parts,but really curious about heads,rj
    Last edited by rogerj; 08-13-2016 at 07:08 AM.

I think the easiest way to diagnose a head gasket leak is using a cheap combustion leak detector, just google it and you will find where to get it locally.
    I'm not sure but I think if the head gasket is too damaged could leak outside the block, so maybe those are the drippings you see, not sure about the slushing noise.

Now, I'm not an expert or a mechanic, but I agree with you, $ 1800 is not worth it, but if you are a bit handy and have some tools, I think you can do it yourself.
    From what I read, you should stay away from leak sealers, that will eventually trash your engine.
    And to check our water pump, try moving your fan a little bit back and fwd, if it moves, you probably have a pump issue.
    DIY is a bit scary, but if you follow directions and take your time, you probably can do it..
    Last edited by Tito De Hoyos; 10-02-2016 at 06:40 PM.

thanks T,here's the update,did use k-seal and it worked! not leaking from head gaskets in back of engine anymore {wasn't a believer in those products either,also put blue devil gasket sealer and it also helped front seal leak,rear seal leaking alot less}changed the waterpump,slushing water was from air in heater core which is now gone.truck was never blowing smoke or spitting water out the exhaust so I think I'm ok for awhile {compression is good for 100k plus miles}the grinding noise I heard turned out to be a heat shield around starter! which I bent back! noise gone,only put about 700mi since adding additives so will let stay until oil change and maybe then flush and add new coolant [or maybe leave in since it did work,not sure there] anyway thanks for responding