Thread: have to change gears manually on an auto D1 94

have to change gears manually on an auto D1 94

Hi all,
    Been a while, but I now have a black D1 also 94.

Anywho, went wheeling the other day and like my usual self, destroyed all motor mounts, trans and transfer case mounts. Replaced those today, but now the auto gearbox will not move forward unless I start in 1st, then use it like a manual to D - it drives just fine all the way to freeway speed and back down. Only if you come to a complete stop do you have to repeat the 1st gear start.

There was a big bang before I parked it, as the whole engine had dropped, thus locking the CDL, and it happened as I was turning to park it for the repair. I did notice, as it stopped moving forward, but managed to get it in the shop in 1st.

Thought it might be torque converter but R is perfectly fine and it runs through the gears just fine only manually.

Thoughts?
    Ed
    http://www.facebook.com/edthefanman
    Lets not aaargue about whoooo killed whooo!

Update:

Definitely not the torque converter. Runs and shifts just fine manually. If it was it wouldn't move at all. There appears to be a solenoid of some sort on the outside of the transmission case. I am guessing that got damaged or disconnected during the mayhem. Is it possible this causes the disconnection of the transmission fluid pressure when I come to a stop in "D"? Put it back in first, start moving, switch to D and all is good....until I stop. Repeat.

So, it shifts normally once it's rolling, upshifts, downshifts etc? Like, if you're driving and floor it, will it downshift and then upshift again on its' own?
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Turns out its something called a sprag gear? You have to shift manually from 1st when starting off. Over 15mph it shifts fine in D. Not worth replacing the trans at this point. Easy to just drive a manu-matic.