Thread: Sunshade Sliding Panel Extraction?

Sunshade Sliding Panel Extraction?

Hi All,

Replaced the headliner couple of years ago but didn't bother getting into the part that is attached to the underside of the sun shade panel. Of course, now that has come un-glued... Browsing other forums and there is conflicting info on just how to take it out. My shop manual has me taking the glass out and part of the sliding mechanism. Anyone done this job recently???

Cheers,

Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

I removed one on a P38 by sliding the sunroof open and sort of finagling it out from the top. Not sure if that will work on a Classic. I've always had to remove the headliner and then drop the entire sunroof cassette, holding it in place with ratchet straps across the inside of the roof and lowering it down inside the car. It's a bit of a PITA. And you can't use the same material to recover it as the sunroof, the ends wrap around the shade where it slides in the track and the foam is too thick and it will make it very difficult to slide. It calls for material with very thin foam backing.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

My plan of attack (this weekend) is to remove the glass and wiggle out the panel from the top. That is what others have done before... Thanks for the tip on the material thickness. I suspected that normal headliner material would be a little thick for the panel. I'll head down to my wholesaler and walk the aisles.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109

Update: thin headliner material found at local upholstery supply. Made just for sliding sunroof panels! Glass panel removed. Working on rest of it later today.

Will post pics.

--Paul

Done this twice recently! so am very familiar with it.
    95 4.6 Range Rover LWB 25th anniversary (Rovage)50230 cam/RPI ECU
    04 Range Rover
    87 white RRC
    93 Range Rover LWB Crawler 4.6

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqczzhsWOh8

NCLR #93

The Definitive Sunshade Panel Replacement How-To

Hi Everyone,

Here is the end of this thread…!

Here’s what I did to remove the glass sunroof and the sunshade panel that needed a new headliner. I already had the headliner removed.

For the sunroof glass, as stated in the shop manual:

-- Tilt the sunroof up.
    -- Remove the protective black plastic mechanism covers. They are supposed to slide rearwards, but mine needed some coaxing to get them out. They are fragile.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trim_1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	30829
    -- Remove the two Torx #25 mounting/adjustment screws on either side of the sunroof brackets.

Name:	Adj_Screw.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	30830
    -- There is a locater pin on either side of the sunroof near the front screw (not stated in the shop manual). You’ll need to pry it away to gain clearance for the glass panel to get it free. Lift glass upwards and rearwards to free the sunroof.

Name:	Locater_Pin.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	30831

To remove the sunshade panel:

-- Slide panel all the way FWD.
    -- Remove the “following” trim at the rear of the panel (two screws on either side).
    -- Either pry the panel from the track that it slides in far enough to free the sliding plastic clips, or bend the center of the panel upwards to gain enough clearance for the panel and clips to come free. Be very careful as the clips are fragile. The panel should come free at this point.
    -- Remove the two rear guides attached to the panel held in place with four small screws.

I removed the remaining old glue and headliner remnants and took the panel to a professional upholstery shop so they can use the good glue to hold the material in place.

Name:	Top.jpg 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	30832

Name:	Bottom.jpg 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	30833

To re-install the sunshade:

--Find the four notches in the panel where the plastic slide/clips usually sit. Cut away material so that the plastic can butt-up against the plastic of the panel.

Name:	Notch_1.jpg 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	30834
    -- Re-install the two rear guide brackets.

Name:	Rear_Slides.jpg 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	30835
    -- Place the sunshade panel above its track in the vehicle without any of the plastic slides/clips. Then bend the panel into place so that the panel is in its track on both sides.
    -- Pry the panel inwards so gain enough room to fit the plastic slides/clips into place without their brass pieces in place. Repeat for all four slides/clips.

Name:	Slide_2.jpg 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	30836
    --Attach brass clips to the plastic slides for each of the four locations.

Name:	Sunroof_Clips_1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	30837

Name:	Slide_Installed.jpg 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	30838

To re-install the glass sunroof:

-- The usual “reverse of the removal procedure” should work. Note that you have to provide pressure on the windscreen deflector to allow the glass to fit into place against that pressure.
    -- Also note that before you put the plastic mechanism covers back in, you need to adjust the sunroof as it should sit in the closed position by raising or lowering the setting of the Torx mounting/adjustment screws. The manual recommends 1 mm stand-off above roof line of the vehicle.

--Paul
    Last edited by ccec; 07-31-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Wow! what a pro!
    95 4.6 Range Rover LWB 25th anniversary (Rovage)50230 cam/RPI ECU
    04 Range Rover
    87 white RRC
    93 Range Rover LWB Crawler 4.6

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqczzhsWOh8

NCLR #93