Thread: Steering won't go all the way to the left after CV replacement

Question Steering won't go all the way to the left after CV replacement

OK,
    so this is pretty weird, after I replaced the CV joint last weekend (I was able to set end float and all, so it is all the way there), I noticed a weird problem, the steering will go all the way right, but not left, just barely one turn, it feels like it reaches the end.
    I did loose tie rods, and the box goes all the way 2 turns each side, as expected, even tried to release the steering stabilizer just in case (I thought maybe this was a coincidence, but no, it seems to be something I did).

With the tire out I moved the steering and I couldn't find any visual clue as to what is hitting somewhere, but it does feel like it is reaching the end bolt (only is not).
    the CV shouldn't be the issue since it should fail in both directions...

So anyway, what could it be? the truck (1995 RRC) works fine, no noises, brakes fine, it doesn't heat the hub or anything, but wont go all the way to the left, just to the right.

I really don't want to take everything apart again, but I may need to do that if no one has any better suggestion (it sucks to redo a job).

Thanks for any ideas.
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

I know what you mean...I hate to have to tear back into something that I just worked on, especially the front end. But offhand there's only one thing I can think of that might be causing the problem. First of all, did you replace just the CV joint and pull the old one off the axle, and install the new one on the same axle, or did you replace the entire axle/CV combo together, and was the CV new or used? If you replaced the CV only, did you make sure the spacer was still on the axle before installing the CV on the axle? If you don't have the spacer in place, the end of the axle can protrude too far into the CV and possibly cause it to bind up like you're describing.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Yeah the spacer was there, it all measures fine, yesterday I was meditating about this, and I think I may have found the answer: bolts.
    If I swapped the bolts that go into the stub-axle with the drive flange ones (longer in my case) it may hit the sphere thing and prevent turning. And that would explain why a bolt seemed too short on the flange, it *was* too short.
    So I guess tear down it is, to find out...
    I'll pay more attention for the other side though, you always learn something.
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

Okay, let me know how it goes...
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Yep, stupid bolt broke also.... <sigh>
    <DCProven >
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>