Thread: Anyone using 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2?

Anyone using 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2?

Any of you guys wearing 285/60/18 BFG AT KO2s yet? I need to get some tires this week and I was thinking I would replace my Nitto Terra Grapplers with the BFGs, but I was wonder if the BFGs clear everything just as well. I've never had issues with my Nittos, but I want the severe weather rating on the AT KO2s this time around.

Best regards,

Dave
    2006 LR3 SE7 Heavy-Duty Pkg & 285/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    2003 Discovery II SE w/RTE 2" & 265/75 BFG KM (RIP)

Hey Dave, I have chosen to run oversize tires on my LR3 as well to gain tire choices in the highest load range. This has provided significant increases in tread life for my tires. In May 2015, it was soon becoming time to replace my tires which I'd gotten 49k+ miles on! I was doing some research to find something of better quality. The set I was replacing, Hankook Ventus RH07 in 285/60/18 were getting noisy, harsh ride and sort of had a mind of their own toward the end of life. I did originally choose this tire knowing the quality wouldn't be the most stellar, but this was an experiment to see what kind of wear i could get out of the higher load rating. I did have to move the front height sensor wires to the top of the frame to proactively avoid damage if rubbed.

In my new tire search, I believe I googled "Best tires for LR3" or something. My search was offering up the BFG All Terrain TA KO 2 in 275/65/18. I was excited because I've run the BFGTAKO forever on my Jeep with good success in all areas. The fitting of these BFG's are very tight though. So basically, the 275/65/18 is going to be 10 mm narrower than the 285/60, but the 275 is 8 mm taller than the 285. So we're not talking about huge differences here, but I wanted to give you the most accurate baseline for my experience.

My opinion and experience has been very positive over the last year/15k miles. These tires spend 85% of their time on pavement. My work sometimes takes me back onto some very rural roads. Most of that is dirt/gravel, but I do often find myself in wet, muddy, marshy areas. I'm in Florida, so no rock crawling or hill climbing. The performance is fantastic, on and off road, dry or wet. Cornering is confident, grip is insane and the ride is actually pretty good. There is of course some noise. In terms of wear, I've got 75% tread left after 15k miles and am happy with that. When the tires were first installed, there was rub at full stop of the steering. This was happening at the back of the inside of the tire to the frame. No rubbing on the front inside, tops or outsides. Also, under hard cornering on uneven surfaces, I'd occasionally hear a rub from the top of the right rear tire. Keep in mind this is all at normal ride height. Now that I've got a little wear on the tires, the rub at the back right tire is gone and the rub on the fronts only happens at full stop while going over a decent size bump (like a curb). The tread on the KO2 is a bit more aggressive than the original KO, especially on the shoulder of the tire. It gets some pretty good comments from onlookers. I'd imagine it probably does something for offroad grip, but maybe only in situations I've not put mine through yet.

All in all, I'm very happy. Just remember to move the front sensor wires out of the way if you haven't already.
    Brian

06 LR3/D3 SE7, 275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's

Brian,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to offer up such a detailed response. I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger and get the 285/60 as I have used that tire size without issue for many years now and from what I understand the variation in tire sizes between the two manufactures will likely be within only a few tenths of an inch if at all. I actually believe the Nitto TG is 31.5" and the AT KO2 is 31.4", but the width was my true concern.

I'm really looking forward to having a tire that will have a better wet/snow traction.

Thanks again for really spelling it out for me and sharing your experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
    Brian,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to offer up such a detailed response. I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger and get the 285/60 as I have used that tire size without issue for many years now and from what I understand the variation in tire sizes between the two manufactures will likely be within only a few tenths of an inch if at all. I actually believe the Nitto TG is 31.5" and the AT KO2 is 31.4", but the width was my true concern.

I'm really looking forward to having a tire that will have a better wet/snow traction.

Thanks again for really spelling it out for me and sharing your experience!
    It's no problem. Tires are obviously one of the most important decisions. I think you'll be happy with them. And you've run that size before, as have I. As you mentioned, sizes do vary slightly from maker to maker and I think the only thing adding any girth to the BFGTAKO2 is that pronounced shoulder. However, it's the pronounced shoulder that'll make you smile every time you hop into the truck for the next year or so. Anyway, good luck. PS, if you have Discount Tire out there, they were the best price by far in my area.
    Brian

06 LR3/D3 SE7, 275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to update my own thread and say the LT285/60R18 BFG AT KO2 fits just as well at the Nitto TG in the same size w/o a full-time lift. I can tell that the tire is actually a little narrower, which I like. Have only driven a few miles, but so far so good. I hope this helps someone using the search function one of these days.

Best regards,

Dave

Mid-Atlantic State, Tidewater Area - Chesapeake, VA
    Doing a five tire rotation, I'm still a long ways off from needing tires and these have been discontinued. Those BFGs would be my choice when I need them.

'06 Land Rover LR3 Base 4.0L V6
    Java Black Pearl, SE Premium Pkg, Rear Seat & Climate Pkg, Cold Climate Pkg, Sirius Radio Pkg
    No HD Pkg somewhere in Chesapeake, VA
    ADDED:
    OEM:
    Brush Bar w/Bosch Fog Lights; Side Protector Molding; Sunroof Air Deflector
    WeatherTech: Vent Deflectors; Cargo Mat
    EGR: Clear Headlight Lens Protector; Smoke Hood Protector
    WheelSkins Two-Tone Lace-up Steering Wheel Cover
    Adj. Height Rod Kit @ 2" lift; 1.30" Wheel Spacers
    Fuzion XTi 285/60-18 All Terrain Tires, 5

Just curious how these are doing and a couple of questions....

1. How if at all did your mileage change with the K02 vs Terra Grapplers
    2. Noise Difference, same, more or less road noise?
    3. General Ride differences?
    4. Anyone considered slightly narrower size, say 275x60x18 for improved mileage?

Thanks considering pulling the trigger before some road trips, on my 3rd set of Terra Grappler 285x60x18
    PM me for Diff Parts, fridges, hitches