Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1996 LR Disco I For Sale, project vehicle/or for parts MUST SELL! MOVING!

1996 LR Disco I For Sale, project vehicle/or for parts MUST SELL! MOVING!

I have a '96 Disco that I took to a dealer for some routine work, and in return got a Disco that was pretty much useful only as a paperweight.

After taking some advice from people on this forum (see this thread: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread....ht=#post150125), I bought a new car and left my '96 rover at a friend's house in Masontown, WV so that his mechanic could look at it when he had the time. It's been about 6 years since then, no one has done anything with it, and now I'm moving long distance and must sell my Rover.

It is an automatic, and it will start, but it has no brakes so it can't be driven. Leather interior, seats seven (has jump seats in cargo area), cargo step, towing package, brush guards. Has a practically new radiator (driven less than 200 miles after it was installed), new viscous fan clutch, engine cooling fan, radiator hoses (upper and lower), thermostat, wheel bearings, tie rods and ball joints. Engine is in great shape, sounds great when you start it. Throwing in some random Disco I parts I have as well: new heater core still in packaging, heater core hoses and gasket.

And now for the litany of issues the truck is having...

When the dealer refilled my transmission fluid after replacing the main seal, they overfilled it massively. There may be damage within the transmission even though I corrected the levels.

The windshield is leaking and needs to be replaced. The water has fried the ECU, and fuses need to be swapped before the truck will start.

The brakes do not function at all. They go all the way to the floor without resistance. I suspect the ECU is the root of this problem as well.

The rear windows have stopped working, and only the front drivers seat controls work. However, the door must be open for it to operate...it's weird, I know.

With all of these problems, I have no idea where to start as far as price goes, so make an offer if interested. No reasonable offer will be refused! Will be posting pictures as soon as I can get to the Rover to take pictures of it. Thanks!
    Last edited by meeme; 04-07-2016 at 03:49 AM.
    ~1996 Discovery I~ SOLD
    ~1978 Land Rover FWD Control~

In the shop, doing the Lord's work, one broken Rover at a time!
    How badly rusted is it?

If not bad, I'm stupid enough to go get it.
    Wrenchin' to Riches

DBA P T Schram Rover Repair, Churubusco, IN USA

Hi, ptschram. Sorry for the delay in replying to you. There isn't much in the way of rust, actually. Some on the brush guards, and some surface rust in a few other places you'd expect. I'm editing the original post to include pics.

You'll need to take pics of the rear door arches by the latch, the front inner fenders, footwells where mud flaps are bolted on, and remove the trim piece inside the back door to show the loadspace floor.
    Wrenchin' to Riches

I went today to take more photos and got all of the ones you wanted, except for the cargo area floor. The screws on the trim piece are stripped out, and I didn't bring the right tool for that. I am leaving tomorrow to go out of town for work, and I'll be gone until next weekend. If I can get the screws out, I will take pictures of it then. However, the cargo door seal doesn't leak, so I seriously doubt there will be any rust there. The only place with a lot of rust is the passenger floor board because of the water leaking in under the windshield.

Attachment 30794Attachment 30795Attachment 30796Attachment 30797Attachment 30798Attachment 30799Attachment 30800Attachment 30801

This is new damage since it was moved to my friend's house. I was unaware of it when I made the original post:

Attachment 30802Attachment 30803

More pics in the next post.
    ~1996 Discovery I~ SOLD

The rusted front passenger footwell. Note that the driver's side footwell does not leak:

Attachment 30804

Under passenger's seat:

Attachment 30805

It's snowing heavily here today, and you can actually see the water dripping onto the ECU under the dash...

Attachment 30806

Attachment 30807

Mud flap bolts:

Attachment 30808

Attachment 30809

Attachment 30810

Attachment 30811

Engine:

Attachment 30812
    ~1996 Discovery I~ SOLD

As a side note, I paid just under $7,000 for it this rover in 2006, have poured nearly $9,000 worth of parts and work into it (I have extensive maintenance records to show this, and that amount doesn't even include replacing items like tires, brakes, and oil/filter changes). I know it has problems, so I'm really not expecting it to sell if for more than $1,000, which as you can see is a serious loss for me. I'm listing it here first because it needs to be gone, and I'd much rather it go to a Rover enthusiast than for it to be sold as scrap.
    ~1996 Discovery I~ SOLD

Given the distance from me, lack of brakes, and what is likely pretty extensive rust, $1000 would be at least twice what it would be worth to me, if not ten times that. For that matter, if my wife knew I was even considering another truck, it wouldn't be pretty. For some reason, she has this silly idea that 18 is too many for one person to own.

As much as i hate to say it, a truck that has sat six years and has no brakes is worth its weight in scrap iron and right now, scrap is less than $30/ton. By your own admission, it couldn't even be driven onto a trailer, thus making it even more difficult to load.
    Wrenchin' to Riches

Would there be anyone there to help with loading?
    Wrenchin' to Riches

No, I don't think so. I don't blame you, it's a pretty far drive for you to take the risk. I'd hate for you to feel like it wasn't worth your time. I'll just sell it to the scrapper down the road who examined it in person and told me that the rust is mainly on the surface. His interest is in parting it out, and he thinks he will be able to make quite a bit of a profit that way. I guess I didn't make it clear in my post that I had already been given an offer for $1000, I didn't set that price. Thanks for your time.
    ~1996 Discovery I~ SOLD