Thread: Troubleshooting 2 Electrical Bugs - Help?

Troubleshooting 2 Electrical Bugs - Help?

I picked up an under used 1996 Discovery, and it cleaned up nicely with the exception of two electrical bugs related to braking.

1. Red "Anti Lock" turns on every time the engine starts. It clears and stays off, only when the truck starts driving over ~5 mph. Is that normal? My 1998 Discovery doesn't do this.

2. The Emergency Flashers lock ON after any quick braking. Once this happens, nothing will turn them off other than turning the engine off and then restarting. That's to say, they stay flashing while the engine is off. Most embarrassing, as the flashers continue to tell all the other cars that I had to jam my brakes on, and now I'm too dumb to stop my warning flashers. There is some truth to this, because I am asking for help here! lol

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

#1 is normal, and I've seen in all my LR with ABS
    #2 are the Disco lights, very normal, but I think your inertia switch is too sensitive, in theory it should only activate after a decent bump or hit (very common offroad), maybe it is loose hanging somewhere and hits the firewall or something..

HTH
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

X2 on both of the above. check that inertia switch.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

You have both earned higher ranks in the LR Goodguy list [someone must have one of those]! Thank you. I'll post an answer if I get one.

As far as #1, Disco's with ABS can't be the common tie as my 1998 Disco is set up the same and has never done that. No worries, as I'm now comforted with the normality of my 1996 doing this.

BTW, The emergency flashers have not activated since I posted the problem. Maybe because I haven't tromped on the brakes since? Checking for proper mounting now.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor