Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear trailing arm bushing

Your right there is deffinatly something wroung. The kid i bought it from said it only had a 2 or 2.5 inch lift, wich like you say should be drivable. I was told to check the rear trailing arm bushings from a local who ownes a fleet of them, i knew they where bad so thats where i started. As for the symptoms, its extreamly touchy, the steering pulles hard to the direction your turning even during minor corrections, if there is any irregularities in the road such as ruts or pot holes it throws the truck everywhere. Its too uncontrollable to drive over 35mph hence why its been sitting since i bought it years ago. And id like to point out im not a novice driver that is worried about a little wondering, this is a seriously dangerous rig to drive.

I havent checked the bushings on the panhard bar yet, and the stearing box started to leak about a year after i got it, so i will have to check those. The tie rod ends are in good shape but i havent checked the drag link. The steering stabilizer is non existent, I assumed it didnt come with one from the factory but the kid must have taken it off at some point.

The wheel bearing i installed was on the rear, but when i first got the truck i had to put in a cv joint in. I have not checked the play in the swivel balls, didnt know that was a thing haha pardon my ignorance. On the subject of swivel balls, i had looked into the castor corrected swivel balls but the castor corection bushings where very cheep at the time ($60) and i only had a 2 inch lift so i thought it to be a bit overkill. I hadent heard much about the bushings eather way, some said they wor out fast but they where off roading there rigs hard and often, as where mine isnt going to be.

Shortly after i got it i bought a rear sway bar and rear shocks to replace a blown one, that helped a bit but not enough, i removed the roof rack and that helped more, but still no where near drivable. I still dont have a front sway bar but all the threads i found said the sway bars didnt make that big of a differance. I find that hard to beleave but i didnt really find anyone saying they did.
    95' RRC LWB

LT265/75R16 Pathfinder All Terrains
    RTE 2" Lift Springs
    Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks
    custom push bar
    Snorkel
    T-Case out of an 92' RRC
    Custom full length roof rack
    6 x 100watt offroad lights
    electric cooling fan

I offroad mine a lot, but it's also my daily driver and I live in hill country with lots of twisty roads, so I run sway bars. I took them off once for a major offroad trip and just left them off for about a month, but didn't like the way it felt without them so I put them back on. Taking them off won't have a big effect if it has stiff suspension, but with a light or medium-duty suspension it really does make a difference. I'd put a steering stabilizer and front sway bar on there ASAP, and check everything I said, and after some corrections have been made I suspect you'll find a world of difference.

Have you ever had the alignment checked on the front end? There's really only the one adjustment, the toe setting, but if it's toed way out it will act like you describe, very twitchy and when you turn it one way it will pull hard in that direction. Not to mention it will scrub the hell out of the inside of the tire tread. So it looks like you have a number of issues that are all adding up...
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

I did an alignment on it after i folded my tie rod off roading. Il start looking for a steaing stabilizer and a sway bar. It has fairly stiff suspention but iv never been in another rover to tell the differance. Do discos have the same stabilizer and sway bar? I noticed the top of one in a local junk yard (pretty rare for any yard to have foreign cars in this area). Where i live the land is flat and the roads are straight as an arrow, the only off roading to do is in the mud and i have a mud truck for that.
    95' RRC LWB

RTE 2" Lift Springs
    Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks
    custom push bar
    Snorkel
    T-Case out of an 92' RRC
    electric cooling fan

If it's a Discovery 1 then yes, pretty much all the steering and suspension parts will interchange with RRC. Especially since yours is a '95, there are tons of interchangeable parts. Besides the drivetrain, lots of switches and electronics, interior parts and so on.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Cool! Il have to stop in there and see if they will let me pull some parts. And thanks a million tigerdan!
    95' RRC LWB

RTE 2" Lift Springs
    Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks
    custom push bar
    Snorkel
    T-Case out of an 92' RRC
    electric cooling fan

Late update: the disco was a disco2 so no good. I have noticed that disco1 bushing sets are cheap as heck, since i have a 95 will they work on mine? They say they work on 95 p38s but i was under the impression that p38 parts wouldnt interchange, perhaps i have that info wrong? Its difficult to find info for 95 RRCs. There is another 95 rrc on craigslist for $800 but i have to many cars, i had to pass it up :/.
    95' RRC LWB

RTE 2" Lift Springs
    Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks
    custom push bar
    Snorkel
    T-Case out of an 92' RRC
    electric cooling fan