Thread: Anyone cut the rear fender wells on the D2?

Anyone cut the rear fender wells on the D2?

I'm looking to trim the fender wells on my D2, anyone have any experience in this matter?
    03 D2S green 13xk mis, Cannibal V8 sig LB, GBRUtah front driveshaft, TF HD 3", HP Watts linkage, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 16x8 steels x5, custom spare mount, Bearmach front bumper w/ 20" LED light bar, Warn X8.5i w/ syn line, TR rear bumper/diff guards, HD steering link kit, brass diff plugs, warm climate cooling kit, 04 CDL w/ D1 linkage, sway bar/crossmember delete, 200amp alternator, snorkel, Pioneer stereo.

Needs moar lift/trim/truetracs/shafts.

Done it a few times on D1's, same thing as a D2 in this area. I made a curved template out of cardboard. Traced it onto the fender with a Sharpie. Used an angle grinder with cut-off wheel. Flip the template over and repeat on the opposite side.
    I wouldn't use a Sawzall, they tend to grab the metal more and can shake the crap out of it.

Looking at doing this to mine, including the rear doors and front arches.

Not keen on then normal larger flares to help cover tyres up etc but going to need something. Any other recommendations on this?

Thanks guys.

With your D2 your have the stock plastic "Fender Flare" to deal with. I would imagine it would be difficult to get those to look clean if you cut them in place but if you don't it would possibly make it even more difficult to get the curve the same. Never done a D2. Tried to adapt a set of D2 flairs to my D1 but didn't like the result so I binned it.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

I pulled the plastic flares off. I think I'm going to get with a local Jeep buddy who can weld and make some magic happen. I need to cut my front fender wells also. I cannot hit full articulation and turn the wheels without contact on the front end and real close on the back end.
    03 D2S green 13xk mis, Cannibal V8 sig LB, GBRUtah front driveshaft, TF HD 3", HP Watts linkage, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 16x8 steels x5, custom spare mount, Bearmach front bumper w/ 20" LED light bar, Warn X8.5i w/ syn line, TR rear bumper/diff guards, HD steering link kit, brass diff plugs, warm climate cooling kit, 04 CDL w/ D1 linkage, sway bar/crossmember delete, 200amp alternator, snorkel, Pioneer stereo.

Not to take this off topic, but what is a "warm climate cooling kit" listed in your sig line?
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    Not to take this off topic, but what is a "warm climate cooling kit" listed in your sig line?
    The 180deg thermostat and new hoses, it's what is offered as the "Warm Climate Cooling Kit" via Rovers North.