Thread: Fuel Pressure problem

Fuel Pressure problem

Well, I thought my CEL was going to stay off, but NO!

When ever I go to start the truck, the fuel pump takes anywhere from a couple of seconds to run, to maybe 20 or so. Usually somewhere in the middle. Once, I even heard it purging air from the system.

It doesn't matter how long the truck has been sitting, but the length of time sitting seems to increase the length of time the sending unit takes to stop running.

Now, I have replaced almost every part of the fuel system: Sending unit, Pressure Regulator, Filter. I don't ever smell any gas when it is running, or when it has been parked.

And BTW, it runs fine, get reasonable mileage for a 17 year old D1.

Any ideas on where to look? What have I overlooked? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Brockflock; 01-03-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

Sounds like a leaking check valve. The pump may be successful at exceeding the leak but not when it's not on. I have no idea as to were the valves are that keep the pressure up but image it's on the fuel pump (in the gas tank). Do more research before acting on my random opinion here.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor