Thread: Sesame Street Head Gasket

Sesame Street Head Gasket

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails head gasket.jpg  
    Chuck

so . . . our 2004 would run perfectly in the driveway for half an hour . . . but as soon as we tried to drive down the street . . . even slowly . . . it would begin to over-heat and boil over in less than three fourths of a mile . . . this photo shows cylinder #5 to be at odds ; but I can't find any obvious signs of damage on the head ; or gasket ; or liner . . . I took both heads to be checked and serviced by an engine shop ; but they've not yet started their evaluation . . . do you think that our engine components might be okay and that we just need a top end re-build . . . or do you think there may be some hidden issue with the block that I'm just not able to see ? I've "heard" lots of scary stories about the need for "top hat" liners and other expensive things . . . we love our truck; but we're not sure what to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LandRover.jpg  
    Last edited by numchuck; 12-11-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    Chuck

Have you done a compression test? Or leak down test before the heads being pulled?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

In the shop, doing the Lord's work, one broken Rover at a time!
    IF you have a problem with the center cylinders, it is almost always due to block failure.

As much as I hate to say it,I don't think I'd even bother with the head job and I'd source a good used engine and just swap it as I suspect you'd be in the same boat shortly.

There are no coolant passages anywhere near that cylinder. Unless the engine got so hot as to perforate the inner corner of the valve seat recess in the head (which I have seen exactly ONE time) it is most likely a crack behind the cylinder sleeve that is allowing coolant to seep into the combustion chamber resulting in the steam-cleaned appearance of that piston.
    Wrenchin' to Riches

DBA P T Schram Rover Repair, Churubusco, IN USA