Thread: 2009 LR2 coolant leak?

2009 LR2 coolant leak?

Hey guys, new user, first post, all that.

So, it turns out I have a coolant leak and the dealership won't tell me if it's the upper or lower hose. When I did my oil change there was coolant residue all over the lower hose but it may have dripped down from the thermostat housing.

Anyway, they tell me I need to replace my thermostat housing (which is what's leaking along with one of the hoses) and alternator (which was damaged by the leak). As part of the service procedure, I need to put in new intake manifold gaskets and a new drive belt.

Can anybody help me out here? I can do the work myself so long as we don't have to lift the engine but I can't find a repair manual anywhere. Do I really need to take off the intake manifold? If so, I will replace those gaskets because duh. And how much coolant will I need to refill the engine? I have a gallon (I always keep some spare fluids for my car) but I don't know if that will be enough.

If you guys could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if you had any tips for making this easier, I'd love those too.

Thanks, guys!

Search on this forum for the RAVE manual, this is an electronic version of the factory service manual. That is the place to start. These are a basic engine, nothing really exotic at all. Keep in mind, the dealer is going to want to fix anything that "might" go wrong, so they don't have to deal with a come-back. The thermostat housing most likely doesn't need replacing, and is the alternator charging? If so, wash it down with electrical parts cleaner, dry it out good, and save yourself a couple $$.

Like moosejr stated, clean the parts and try to identify the leak first. Replacing everything doesn't always work. Sometimes after market parts are bad from the get-go. There's a low chance but it's possible. Or you could end up with a bigger problem later. By cleaning the two culprits your eliminating the obvious. Coolant tends to leave a chalky residue. Find that and your golden.

Mobile texter with some tappingtalker📳
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"