Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disco 1 rpms dying and stalling

disco 1 rpms dying and stalling

I have a 97 disco1 it's dying out when hot, the rpms drop and stalls, I've changed the maf the idle air speed valve the vehicle speed control sensor cleaned the the throttle body don't know where to go from here i'll change the crankshaft sensor but I don't think that's the problem it's driving me nuts! appreciate any help

Does it only do it when it's hot? Mine had a similar symptom. Put would run fine for a few miles but after it heated up it wouldn't run over 2000 rpm. It just lost all power and would sputter and backfire. For me it was the crank position sensor. It's a poorly designed housing in my opinion. A local Indy rover mechanic diagnosed it over the phone. He said it happens all the time.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Quote Originally Posted by rogerj View Post
    I have a 97 disco1 it's dying out when hot, the rpms drop and stalls, I've changed the maf the idle air speed valve the vehicle speed control sensor cleaned the the throttle body don't know where to go from here i'll change the crankshaft sensor but I don't think that's the problem it's driving me nuts! appreciate any help
    How did it work out? I have a similar issue, but not quite dying. It just does the same at random. Did changing the CPS do the trick ?
    Long-time Land Rover enthusiast : * 2002 DII SE; * 2004 DII SE; * 1998 DI SD; *1998 DI LE7; *1999 DI SD (SOLD); * 1993 RRC SWB (CAMEL TROPHY LOOK) (SOLD); * 2001 DII SE (SOLD); * 1995 DI SD (SOLD); * 1997 DI SE7 (SOLD); * 2006 ROVER Sport ( TOTALLED W/ TREE LAND), * 2001 DII SE7 (SOLD), 2000 SE7 (SOLD); * 2000 DII SD (SOLD); * 1997 DI XD (REGRETFULLY SOLD); * 1995 ROVER LWB (SOLD); * 1991 ROVER SWB GD (SOLD); * 1985 ROVER SWB 5spd (TRADED); 1971 Landie ( STOLEN; RECOVERED IN AZ FULL STRIP)

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    Does it only do it when it's hot? Mine had a similar symptom. Put would run fine for a few miles but after it heated up it wouldn't run over 2000 rpm. It just lost all power and would sputter and backfire. For me it was the crank position sensor. It's a poorly designed housing in my opinion. A local Indy rover mechanic diagnosed it over the phone. He said it happens all the time.
    Why would a CPS not fail at cold temp also ?
    Long-time Land Rover enthusiast : * 2002 DII SE; * 2004 DII SE; * 1998 DI SD; *1998 DI LE7; *1999 DI SD (SOLD); * 1993 RRC SWB (CAMEL TROPHY LOOK) (SOLD); * 2001 DII SE (SOLD); * 1995 DI SD (SOLD); * 1997 DI SE7 (SOLD); * 2006 ROVER Sport ( TOTALLED W/ TREE LAND), * 2001 DII SE7 (SOLD), 2000 SE7 (SOLD); * 2000 DII SD (SOLD); * 1997 DI XD (REGRETFULLY SOLD); * 1995 ROVER LWB (SOLD); * 1991 ROVER SWB GD (SOLD); * 1985 ROVER SWB 5spd (TRADED); 1971 Landie ( STOLEN; RECOVERED IN AZ FULL STRIP)

changing the cps tomorrow will update

Sticky valves?
    94 - Range Rover LWB - 241000 miles!

changed the crank position sensor and it's seems to have correct the stalling and idle issue,thanks for the imput,this forum is the greatest source for info!

Glad it worked out. Was the shield around the crank sensor all filled up with mud and oil and... ? Mine was and I think it contributed to the failure. At least it's not a difficult part to change.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

shield was ok by the way the shield on the vehicle speed sensor was shot,try finding one of those! 97 disco 1 with old man emu springs and shocks,bilstein steering dampener,103k miles

may have spoke to soon,car did the same thing again,i tried to accelerate from a light and pushed down on the gas and rpms fluttered so I lifted off the gas and pulled over and she stalled,started it and ran fine when light on the pedal,i'm baffled,any help,maybe throttle position sensor? can't keep throwing parts at this
    Last edited by rogerj; 10-13-2015 at 11:52 AM.