Thread: Heater box rebuild

Heater box rebuild

So - my heater cores blown and fan motors sealed and smoking! - time for a heater box rebuild!

Where is the best place to get these - I see AB do a kit with both fan motor and core for close to 370, but does anyone have any experience with this kit?

Is the core a all metal, or part plastic?
    The he motors a non standard part - what's fit/quality like?

thoughts?

Tim.
    Last edited by Timbo; 09-06-2015 at 06:05 PM.
    94 - Range Rover LWB - 241000 miles!

I haven't used the kit, so far I've never had to replace the blower motor and if I ever do, I've got plenty of spares. The core is going to be the aluminum one with plastic tanks. The all-metal ones are tough to find. I just replaced the core on a '94 SWB, got it from RovahFarm. I did buy AB's blower resistor though as it only had had one functional fan speed, nice unit.

Be prepared for a fun project. Getting the heater box out will take you the better part of a day if you've never done it before. I've done a few of them and I can get one out in about 2-1/2 hours. But dealing with the heater box itself is almost worse. Very finicky, you have to open it up to get to the heater core and it's really touchy to get all the flaps lined back up to get it back together.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at rovah farm.

Just got the reg renewal though - need a smog, so that's first on the agenda! Then the heater box.

If if you have a spare motor you want to let go, let me know!

Tim.

Got the heater box out this Saturday before the storm hit - You wern't joking about a fun project.

Put the the basics of the dash back in so its drivable while I rebuild at my leisure.

Used the the pictorial instructions from AB to dismantle - have to say they are very good, and would have been lost without. I think I'm now on page 19 of 48!
    Last edited by Timbo; 12-16-2015 at 12:50 PM.

So finally got this all back together (apart from the hoses in the engine bay). - But will have to take apart again as I think the dash top is facing down at more of an angle a therefore compressing all downward toward the floor. I can tell as thewood dash is now obscuring to top of the fuse box and heater controls. Will have to see where I went wrong in the reassembly.