Thread: 2003 Disco 2 transmission

Angry 2003 Disco 2 transmission

Never had any issues with the transmission, always engaged in gear promptly, shifted perfect (not delay, no hesitation). Warm or cold worked as it should, fluid changed about 7000 miles ago and it was pretty clean and there are were not or are any leaks, I could accurately said that it was a normal running transmission without any issues. 2/3 weeks ago I left home and drove about 3 miles, stopped on a red light and when changed to green proceeded to move, it motion forward and it changed from 1st to 2nd and lost the gear and it was like went into neutral. None of the forward gears work, there is not lights flashing of the dash (M&S) there is not codes related to the transmission, checked the fluid and it is normal, inspected all the connections I could find for the transmission and found not corrosion, the gears show correctly on the dash(XYZ}. If any one can shed some light, I will be thankful...........don't really want to swap transmission and find out that the issue was minor and really didn't need to do that pain in the a&& job.....please help

ps: I did a head gasket about 5000 miles ago and just when I started loving my rig the Rover Demons attacked again.|| lol

Forgot to mention that parking works and it goes in reverse just not forward gears

Did you just change fluid or drop pan and install new filter? Transfer case fluid changed too?
    Larry K, ASE
    Millstadt ,IL
    2011 LR4 HSE LUX
    Prev. owns: 87 RR Classic, 96 D1 4.0, 96 P38 4.6

Nope...I did service the transmission (fluid & filter)long time ago (10,000 miles +/-)

Quote Originally Posted by lighting View Post
    Never had any issues with the transmission, always engaged in gear promptly, shifted perfect (not delay, no hesitation). Warm or cold worked as it should, fluid changed about 7000 miles ago and it was pretty clean and there are were not or are any leaks, I could accurately said that it was a normal running transmission without any issues. 2/3 weeks ago I left home and drove about 3 miles, stopped on a red light and when changed to green proceeded to move, it motion forward and it changed from 1st to 2nd and lost the gear and it was like went into neutral. None of the forward gears work, there is not lights flashing of the dash (M&S) there is not codes related to the transmission, checked the fluid and it is normal, inspected all the connections I could find for the transmission and found not corrosion, the gears show correctly on the dash(XYZ}. If any one can shed some light, I will be thankful...........don't really want to swap transmission and find out that the issue was minor and really didn't need to do that pain in the a&& job.....please help

ps: I did a head gasket about 5000 miles ago and just when I started loving my rig the Rover Demons attacked again.|| lol

How did it work out with the trans in your DII...........? Did you resolve the problem.?
    Long-time Land Rover enthusiast : * 2002 DII SE; * 2004 DII SE; * 1998 DI SD; *1998 DI LE7; *1999 DI SD (SOLD); * 1993 RRC SWB (CAMEL TROPHY LOOK) (SOLD); * 2001 DII SE (SOLD); * 1995 DI SD (SOLD); * 1997 DI SE7 (SOLD); * 2006 ROVER Sport ( TOTALLED W/ TREE LAND), * 2001 DII SE7 (SOLD), 2000 SE7 (SOLD); * 2000 DII SD (SOLD); * 1997 DI XD (REGRETFULLY SOLD); * 1995 ROVER LWB (SOLD); * 1991 ROVER SWB GD (SOLD); * 1985 ROVER SWB 5spd (TRADED); 1971 Landie ( STOLEN; RECOVERED IN AZ FULL STRIP)

UPDATE.....worked a little bit on the truck today, checked the battery and charging system (13.1 volts engine off/ 13.8 to 14.1 with engine running). Finally purchase a code reader that can read transmission codes and P-0722 (output shaft speed sensor circuit/ no signal) is present. M&S lights are flashing and gear indicating light in the dash also flashes. The light in the console, by the shifter (little red dot) that indicate the gear selection in the console is also blinking. Will no go into any forward gear but it will go in reverse without hesitation. Should I go ahead and replace the transmission output speed sensor, XZY switch, change the fluid and filter, or anyone have a better idea.

Curious to know the solution here as I have a buddy with the EXACT same problem. He parked it, the next morning, no forward. Only reverse.

Any help? We were thinking XYZ, but my thought is if the gears show correctly, then the xyz should be working, as it appears that's a feedback to the selector indication on the dash.
    FWIW 2000 DII.
    http://www.facebook.com/edthefanman
    Lets not aaargue about whoooo killed whooo!

Quote Originally Posted by edthediscoman View Post
    Curious to know the solution here as I have a buddy with the EXACT same problem. He parked it, the next morning, no forward. Only reverse.

Any help? We were thinking XYZ, but my thought is if the gears show correctly, then the xyz should be working, as it appears that's a feedback to the selector indication on the dash.
    FWIW 2000 DII.
    Discoman, did your friend found a solution? I'm getting ready to swap the whole transmission but someone have a better solution that will be great. I would hate to do all that work and then find out that te trans wasn't the problem. Thanks...